Topic

New backpackers take lightening up too far

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web New backpackers take lightening up too far

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

“We had made the decision not to bring our sleeping bags because it was supposed to be so hot out and we knew from our research that weight is super important,” she said. They slept in a tent, but didn’t anticipate having to spend their first night in a valley where the temperature dropped precipitously. “Let’s just say I have never been so cold in my life,” Ms. Toal said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-scariest-part-of-the-great-outdoors-the-brand-new-camper-11598812127

They were led to this dangerous decision using Google and inexperience. The story included several examples of new backpackers and campers making mistakes that seem dumb to more experienced outdoorspeople.

Maybe the next edition of the BPL Handbook and future stories can guide new backpackers to making safer decisions and avoiding dumb ones.

— Rex

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

I saw this article as well. I was wondering if the skipped on the sleep pad too . . . to lighten the load.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

you don’t need food, too heavy, you have enough body fat to last many days?

Ken White
    BPL Member

@kenw

But you need fluids. Hike naked with a bag of tequila.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

In my group hiking experience, it is more common for newbies to leave a sleeping pad than a sleeping bag…wow.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Charles Darwin is a helluva drug

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The phrase “stupid light” popped into my mind.  You don’t read much about backpacking without learning about the “Big 3”:

• Pack
    • Shelter
    • Sleeping System (typically a sleeping bag and a pad)

They won’t make that mistake again…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

About 35 years ago I did something similar on an overnight backpack in Kauai.   I skipped the sleeping bag, just counted on the tent and thermarest – it’s hot in Hawaii, right? – which would have been fine except that it rained really hard the whole trip, most everything got wet, and what I brought to sleep in was a 50/50 cotton/poly sweat suit, which wasn’t soaked but it was damp.  It’s surprising how chilly it can get at 68 degrees when you’re damp and not moving.  Not dangerously so, but certainly uncomfortable!  I learned my lesson.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

They say they did their research. I suggest doing research starting at the library. Then move on to the web when you have some sense of what you’re doing. Google only works for critical thinkers or those with experience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools