Topic

New and need directions to pets.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New and need directions to pets.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Noob here.  Looking for the dog sleep system forum and how to quick search in general.

Thanks in advance.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I don’t know about a dog sleep system forum, but there are plenty of threads on the topic. Try a restricted domain search in google like the following:

site:backpackinglight.com dog sleeping bag

site:backpackinglight.com dog insulation

etc.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Dan’s suggestion is a good one.

I went to the home page and hit the menu thingie (the three lines) and then Searched for “dog warm” and got these results. Note the built-in search allows one to restrict results to the Forums, Gear Swap, etc. which can be useful at times.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…menu thingie (the three lines)

Believe it or not, in the industry the commonly accepted term for that is the “Hamburger” :)

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

re: Hamburger

I have found that when I call it that in the classroom that nobody knows what I’m talking about so I have adopted variations three line menu thingie over the years. I call ellipsis/options dot dot dot too. 😬

Anyways, what JCH said: hit the search on the hamburger.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also, Welcome to Paul! We are glad you are here.

I think we should institute a rule where you have to post a photo of your dog(s) if you ask a dog question. Let’s see your pup(s)!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have found that when I call it that in the classroom that nobody knows what I’m talking about

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the majority of the world’s internet-using humans do not know that term…but all the “computer geeks” do!

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Thanks.  His name is Willie.  Amstaff mix rescue.  One man’s trash is another’s treasure.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Very handsome. He looks like a good hiking buddy.

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

We’re on the NPT

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

That’s awesome!  Love the pack.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Maybe we should rename this thread the Orange Ruffwear Pack Thread.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

I retired the pack this summer for my old girl, she has paid her dues over the years and will be hiking pack-free for the rest of her life. But here are orange pack and sleeping insulation photos from a few years ago.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

🧡

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

What did you use for insulation?

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

She is lying on some CCF and wearing a doggie fleece that you can’t really see (which she always wears at night) and my down puffy (because it was going to be sub-freezing).

This is her fleece, it’s a brand called Fido Fleece, but I don’t know if they’re still around. She inherited it from my previous Boxer, and it has been worn for 18 seasons in all. I’ve mended it a few times but it’s still doing the job. I generally put it on her as soon as the sun sets since she is short-coated and basically bare underneath. I like this design because it has full belly and some arm coverage. It has a velcro strip closure down her back which makes it easy to put on and off, but I don’t normally see that style any more. There are plenty of good fleece jackets for dogs, including by RuffWear. Our Ridgeback also needs this level of insulation, but our third dog has a thick coat and is totally comfortable with no insulation at all.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We use a Nunatak Gear Dog Bag. It is zippered (which makes it easy for Sierra to get inside, then I zip her up once she’s laying down) and has a sleeve for a pad (keeps her from sliding off the pad). She uses a z-rest cut to fit the pad sleeve.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

If only I could teach mine to lie on a sleeping pad and/or under a quilt…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^This.

My cattledog is such an obedient dog except that she insists on not staying on her pad. She shivers without complaint and then I end up pulling her into my quilt with me. I hold onto her and don’t let go for the rest of the night. It’s frustrating/comical.

She wears a Nunatak dog coat (no longer offered) but I think Jan’s current bag looks like a better solution.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

…she insists on not staying on her pad. She shivers without complaint and then I end up pulling her into my quilt with me. I hold onto her and don’t let go for the rest of the night.

I knew cattledogs were smart, but I didn’t know they were that smart.  🤣

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

LOL but the truth is she resents the injustice of being hugged. She’s very independent.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

my lab has 2 coats and in no need of a sleep system. Been out in the 20s and he’ll just yawn at the weather. No orange ruffwear but a dirty red one. Only complaint is the work needed to keep sides in balance. Often I need to throw a rock or two in a pocket to even it out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools