Topic

Netting skirt for xmid fly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Netting skirt for xmid fly

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Roach
    BPL Member

@clipster95

Locale: Bay area

I’m looking for creative ways to attach a netting skirt to the bottom of my xmid 2p fly similar to the net skirt found on the six moons Owyhee so I can leave the inner tent at home.  I’ve used a megamid in peak bug season by piling rocks around the perimeter with success back in the olden days when fabrics were burlier, so I know going without a net inner is a viable option for me. Ideally it could be easily removed for winter use. I am also planning on having 1 wall with netting so I can leave the door open on warm nights. I think adding velcro to attach the netting would add a little too much weight so I’m looking for creative alternative ways (climbing  skin glue for example). Discuss!

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Could use strategically placed press studs/domes around the perimeter to join the skirt to the fly

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Using grosgrain and or flat braided elastic band on the netting edge to give strength and tautness. Then add clips to the nets 4 corners. Stretch and attach to fly corner attachments. Nettings hang down length would be your personal preference. I’d assume something that drapes inward a ways.

Scott Roach
    BPL Member

@clipster95

Locale: Bay area

Thanks for the ideas. I’m intrigued with the snaps(studs/dome) idea although hesitant to pierce the fabric. There won’t be much tension on the netting I don’t think. My only concern is the possibility of gaps at the junction with the fabric if it’s not fully attached all the way across.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools