Topic

Neoair Xlite Sucks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoair Xlite Sucks

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I finally took an Xlite out on my last trip, and It honestly seems like a huge joke that’s being played all of us. I have a Tensor insulated, Ether Light XT, Xtherm, and this horrible, yellow joke of a pad. I bought it for the weight of course, and the R value. It was only 46 degrees in the evening so the cold wasn’t a factor. I’m sure this pad might be good for someone that is a maniac back sleeper, but I sleep on my side. My hip did some serious digging on those horizontal baffles and it was unbearable. I honestly think the amount of comfort I get from the Ether Light will make it my go to pad for the foreseeable future.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting.  I too am a side sleeper but find the Xlite quite comfortable.  I’m over 200 lb, so maybe my hips aren’t as pointy as yours or something.

John B
    BPL Member

@jnb0216

Locale: western Colorado

I also have used the Xlite for many years, find it very comfortable (I’m a side sleeper, weigh 200lbs).  Never once had a puncture–usually pretty careful about cleaning my tent site.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Side sleeper and love the Xlite large. The amount of air fill you give it has drastic effects on comfort.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

You say you also have an Xtherm – do you have the same issues with that? Similar technology and construction. I don’t have an xlite; I use an older NeoAir all season which I find OK for side sleeping if I let a little air out.

Sucks is a pretty strong statement for what is likely the most popular pad in the market – it does get people to look at the thread though.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Xlite wide pad got me comfy back on the ground again after a Few years hiatus and hanging in my hammock.  In fact I used to knock the inflatable pads years back, but something changed either in the pads or myself. I do need the wide version otherwise it definitely sucks! I am a side sleeper, stomach and back..

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

If you really don’t like it, I will buy it for $100. I use an Xlite womens, and, never had a problem. I have slept on all sorts of roots, pine cones, branches, etc…

Forgot to mention I am a rotisserie sleeper.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

When it’s cold enough to use the xtherm, I’m usually bringing closed foam to go underneath, so that may have something to do with he difference. Maybe I’m more picky these days, but I can say I didn’t enjoy it. I could maybe try deflating it quite a bit to see if that helps, but I doubt I’ll actually pack it again. xD

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

It works fine for me as does the uberlite (although I did need to repair a puncture in the latter). In fact, I have tried more than a half dozen of the various lightweight pads from several brands, and they all seem fine to me, I don’t really notice any big differences in comfort.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

5’10’ / 146lb / 61 yo male – love the Xlite. Side sleeper on the size Regular. No problem. Below 30-ish degrees I bring the Xtherm, and if significantly lower, an additional 1/4″ Evazote pad.

Christian White
    BPL Member

@cwhite1970

I am 51 years old, 5’11” tall and weight somewhere between 190 and 210 depending on the season and what hikes I may be training for. I rotate from my back to my left side through the night whether camping or in my bed at home.  The Xlite is the pad I keep coming back to. I have bought so many pads since my Xlite, looking for the perfect pad. All pack larger and weigh more, and none are more comfortable. Unless I expect temps well below freezing, it is the pad I reach for every time.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Have to say I love mine and have used it for well over 6000 miles of overnight camping in the 6+ years of ownership.

I toss and turn side, back, stomach, and am quite pointy in hip/knee areas. I’ve used it extensible on flat hard surfaces and have not had a complaint.

I hear everyone else complaining though. That said, I hear no chips, do not fall off the sides, no issues with durability (one small puncture fixed back in 2016), and have yet to find a comparable weight/warmth, and durability option…not that I have a need to.

I also sliced off a chunk to make it a “3/4″ pad over 4000 miles ago. Still holding strong!  5’5” 128lbs

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Sympathize with you because I cannot sleep on those glorified air mattresses, and a number of others have posted likewise on BPL.  So don’t feel alone.  Fortunately, bought the best self inflaters from Nemo when they still had them.

Yours is a Thermarest.  The search feature on BPL is stuck in 2011 and not helpful.  The rage for thick bouncy airmats with air chambers seems to have driven most other products out of the market.  (If you carry an ice pick, be sure to keep it well out of sight.)

But there are a number of large marketeers like Sea to Summit that have half a dozen self-inflaters. So does REI.  Try some of these major marketers to see what they have.  Note that the mats tend toward twice as heavy now than just a few years ago.  But some are around a pound and a half, depending on length, like this one from REI:  https://www.rei.com/product/148191/rei-co-op-airrail-plus-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

A great pad might be a self inflater laminated over an inch or two of open cell memory foam; but haven’t seen one.  Also, if you can get to one of the large gear stores, you might be able to test a couple.  I did that when the Thermarests first came out with the chambered air mats.  Good thing, because it took forever to blow one up, and would never give up my partially self-inflaters for that.  Then went to a doctor who for some unknown reason wanted me to hyperventilate.  Some days are like that.

Note that anything of substance will need to be rolled up and stashed on your pack, like in the old days.  I attach the food to the top; but when the chair is folded up and strapped to the back of the pack, its front legs make a nice bottom shelf on which to strap the rolled up pad that is only about 4″ in diameter when deflated.   And be sure to take a good small patching kit. A Griz got ahold of mine in the Canadian rockies, and was just lucky to be near Lake Louise where there was a small camp store that had contact cement.

Pat W
    BPL Member

@thepatwalker

I also sleep on my side (when I’m not tossing and turning), and have had the same issue on other pads as well. What I would do is stuff my spare clothes, sit pad, or even backpack under my hips. Not the greatest, but better than the ground.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I use an X-therm in the cold/snow, and a large size X-lite when the weather is moderate. Both work great for me. I sleep on back and both sides. I haven’t bottomed-out, ever.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I’m another one who doesn’t like the xtherm or xlite. I just can’t get comfortable with the horizontal baffles. Not really sure how you find the xtherm comfortable but not the xlite. They felt the same to me.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I am a side sleeper as I can never sleep on my back; perhaps due to too many years of reading in bed since I was a kid.

I personally find the comfort of the Xlite is dependent on how full you inflate the pad.  If I don’t let some of the air out after blowing it up, I find it too rock hard to sleep on. Took a little experimenting to find the right amount of air. Also, your choice of campsite may influence the comfort as well.  Some sites are like sleeping on concrete while others a much softer.  I tend to avoid the concrete sites since they tend to form a bowl that collects water and I don’t use a shelter that has a floor.

Scott Roach
    BPL Member

@clipster95

Locale: Bay area

I don’t use an xlite because of the noise, but its a fair question to ask. Do you work for sea to summit?

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

I’m with Miner.  My Xtherm fully inflated his not comfortable. Let two short bursts of air out and I sleep like a baby.  I’m a side sleeper and weigh 230lbs.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

One should let air out of an inflatible pad via microvalve so that the pad conforms to your body without hips or shoulders bottoming me out. I was happy for many years w the Xlite. After some major surgery I gained weight. Getting the Xlite air volume just right started to become tedious. A lot of friends have the Nemo and are happy with it. I tried it. It was OK, but not a revelation. A number of older Youtube hikers, esp. in Scotland, love the Etherlite. Too pricy for me, as is new Xlite. Then Exped came out with a new air series, 3 in. thick, comfort just a bit less than Etherlite but better than Xlite or Nemo. Best thing is ALL sizes are same price – and undercuts the competition. Weight is on par w Nemo and Etherlite. R value of 3, 5 or 7. Exped comes w full size 40 liter Scnozzle inflater bag cum pack liner. Reg wide U3R is $150. REI just on sale for $112. Whats not to love?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Bill, can you compare the packed size of the U3R with standard yellow NeoAir Xlite (not xtherm or uberlite)?

It’s too bad Exped doesn’t make a short/wide…

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

I would reiterate Bill in Roswell, I do not use the neo air, just because I own a big Agnes’s pad but my key to comfort is not over inflating the air mattress, I am a side and stomach sleeper.  I do not always sleep well on outings regardless.  I really have to find my inflation happy space of not to soft, not too hard.  This is basically the point where my hips and body are not hitting the ground plus a little air.  I have thought of getting the neo air, but I just went with a big Agnes’s pad and it has worked, don:t see enough weight saving to make it worth changing and my pad has been reliable, no punctures.  I use the qcore insulated orange pad.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools