Topic

Neoair Uberlite – Any Problems??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Neoair Uberlite – Any Problems??

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Bradmacmt, I use a Xlite Wr at R3.9., 12oz. The overall height is fine for my 5’9″ body with a pillow over it. Works well for spring, summer and fall. Early spring/late fall trips are the only time I supplement with a GG torso pad at ~5.5oz. Good to about 20F or lower.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Bradmacmt, I use a Xlite Wr at R3.9., 12oz. The overall height is fine for my 5’9″ body with a pillow over it. Works well for spring, summer and fall. Early spring/late fall trips are the only time I supplement with a GG torso pad at ~5.5oz. Good to about 20F or lower.

James, that seems like a solid choice. I prefer a bit more pad length for sprawling out, even though I’m only 5’10″… I’m not sure I could get used to the WR’s 66″ length. But who knows?

I’ve got an original size Large Neoair I’ve been using since they came out. IIRC, it only has an R value of 2.5, but it’s worked well enough down in the single digits when supplemented by a 1/4″ Evazote pad on top (got that here locally when Prolite was still in business).

For late season, the original is getting retired this year by a size Large Xtherm… I’ve been using the size Regular Xlite now for a couple of years, and that will continue to be my go-to pad for most trips.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I have two originals that are still OK, even though by morning they are soft. The other was simply worn out a couple years ago. They are not a pair, though, One is regular and the other is a medium. The wife and I use them for car camping, these days. Snuggled up together, we often take our 40F bags down to 25F, comfortably. She doesn’t care to use the CCF pads.

Tom Osborne
    Spectator

@insptgo

Put 300 miles on my Uber with one patch and at the end could not hold air took it and a 2 year old XLite back to REI for full refund.Will be trying a SS Etherlyte woman’s Long next outing.Heavier but will see.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

No issues with mine so far. I also keep mine 3/4 inflated maybe less. Never have liked a full hard inflated pad getting in and out and on and over with. So maybe I’m just not noticing the deflation? perhaps. Time will tell and REI will refund if un-satisfactory.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We just returned from three weeks on the JMT and are amazingly happy with them. Even with temperatures in the high 20s we didn’t feel cold  in our quilt. In total we now have around 40 nights on our two new Uberlights and will continue to use them.

I managed to pop internal baffles (s. photo) when ‘plopping’ my butt down on the pad to tie my shoes. Despite the first shock when I heard the loud ‘pop’, the pad was still inflated and functioned the remaining week with no further problems. Lesson learned.

John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

+1 to Manfred’s experience. I bought one from REI in March and used it for 11 nights. The baffle blew out around the 8th night just like Manfred’s although I never sat on it.

I took it back and replaced it with the Women’s xlite regular. I have a couple of other xlites and they have about 60 nights each.

I will wait at least for v3 or v4 of the uberlight before trying it again.

Keith Johnson
    BPL Member

@crossingzion

I know this is an old forum, but I’ve had two new Uberlites and woke up on the ground with both. The 2nd one (new valve) was a replacement for the first one. (original valve) I spent all night blowing it back up…about every hour it would be flat. I didn’t try it with a GG pad underneath… but even at home it deflated while lying on our carpet. I sent it back and Cascade Designs graciously offered a different Neoair as replacement. They are great to work with! Props to them.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools