Topic

NeoAir Original vs XLite R-values?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) NeoAir Original vs XLite R-values?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I get cold in the Sierra in the summer with my aging, skinny frame. Thinking of upgrading my sleeping pad.

I read in an old post that my original rectangular NeoAir has a lower R-value than the current (tapered) Xlite, which has a 4.2 R-value. Does anyone know what the R-value of the original one is?

Liz Black
    Spectator

@backpacking4ever

Get women’s warmer at 5.3 I think.    Don’t know older ones.   But I’m older and it’s what I’m getting too

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I pair mine with a very thin foam pad, and it seems to work well.

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

The original one was rated at 2.5. To complicate things though Thermarest just changed the way they measured. So the new one is 4.2 now but by old measuring methods (apples to apples for the original Neoair) 3.2. So essentially if your old one was a 2.5 consider the new one a 3.2

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Liz—I’ve looked at the Women’s model and am thinking I want a longer pad. Enjoy its warmth!

Ben—I have a 1/8″ GG pad I use folded up for a sitpad and also under my NeoAir at night. And I’m still sometimes cold. :)

Zack—Thank you! That’s just what I was looking to learn. Now I have to decide if I think going to the current XLite will be enough bump up in R-value. Hmm.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Alan Dixon explains it in this video Best Sleeping Pad for Backpacking 2020 | Complete Guide .

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Link—Thanks, that’s a good video on all the NeoAir (and some of their foam) pads. Now I just have to go to REI and test drive the Women’s XLite to see if I like it as a 6 ft’er.

Rob C
    Spectator

@robcollinson73

So, I should be fine using my NeoAir Original with my Thermorest Corus 20/-6  for Three Seasons in the UK?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I should be fine using my NeoAir Original with my Thermorest Corus 20/-6 for Three Seasons in the UK?
    No.
    A bald statement like that is utterly useless. British weather is NOT that stable.
    We were doing the Pennine Way (UK) in mid-summer many years ago, and woke one morning to 50 mm of snow on the ground.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools