Topic

Nemo Hornet 1P Overview Video

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nemo Hornet 1P Overview Video

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Just a quick walkthrough of the Nemo Hornet 1P. Enjoy!

YouTube video

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nm

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Nice video.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Nice video!   I also own this tent and really like it.  I currently own several slightly heavier freestanding tents, a Tarptent, and cuben Lighheart tent.  My favorite is by far this little Nemo Hornet.

I went back to standard pole tents, because of their simplicity and the fact that they are getting under 2lbs.  The ease of setting them up is great and the small laydown area is a huge plus.  I’m 5’9″ tall and 155lbs.  This tent has plenty of room for me.

I first saw this tent last year on the PCT.  Took a good look at it and decided to buy one…glad I did.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Thanks John. It is amazing how light this tent is and its really well designed. If I take only the tent, 4 DAC stakes (with loops) and the stuff sack its 28.71oz (weighed on a scale accurate to 0.04grams) thats crazy light. 3 extra guylines (provided not the lightest so possible to shed a few more grams here) add 0.8oz. I’d fashion extra stakes on site if needed. So all in we’re talking 29.51oz, leave the stuff sack at home and I’m back down to 28.62. Tough to compete with this, particularly for a mostly freestanding tent.

What drew me to this style shelter was bikepacking with a friend who has a Flycreek UL1. A few of the sites were were forced to camp on had impenetrable ground (forcing me to search for rocks a pain when your exhausted) the evening was calm despite being on an exposed ridge so he just put it up inner only and left the foot end stakes in the bag… Further the following morning I was jealous at how simple it was for him to just carry the tent over to the warm morning sun to dry it off before packing.

The Hornet gives me the same benefits BUT with that great side entrance!

How has the durability been for you? Do you use a ground sheet?

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Tried it this weekend, returning it. Too small for me, but doesnt mean wont work for you. Pretty minimal though i have seen smaller. I think im gonna get BA FLy Creek 2, bigger, lighter.

Robert A
    BPL Member

@akmerlin

Hi Michael. Yours is about the only review of the Hornet 1P out there, and I wonder, since you have many subsequent posts about tarp set-ups, what your experience over time was with the Nemo? I am researching tents for my bikepacking kit, and can get a deal on either a Nemo or Big Agnes tent.

Also noted with interest your Krampus, and will pm you to establish direct communication. Here is my Surly Omniterra, across the Straight from you:

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Its a coffin, very small. I returned and got a Fly Creek 2 Big Agnes. Much nicer, better made.

Robert A
    BPL Member

@akmerlin

Better than the Nemo Hornet 2? The Big Agnes, I mean.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

I would argue yes Fly Creek 2 better than the Nemo 2 Hornet. I compared them side by side, got inside both etc, staked them, out in my yard. Despite the side doors of the Hornet, i prefer the Fly Creek, its just stretches out better in the bottom.  I returned the Hornet.

Fly Creek 2 has a High Volume version which is identical to the regular version and weighs the same and is a little bigger how it stretches out when you attach all the corners etc.  I really looked into comparing both. Initially I was opposed to the Fly Creeks door but in the end I think its just a better tent.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

I looked at both Hornet 1 & 2.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Nice bike Robert! For a proper tent the Nemo 1p is bloody fantastic. I most definitely did not feel like it was a coffin at all. Mind you I’m about 5’8″ or less. Additionally having spent some time in a Flycreek I can say the Nemo feels less confining even if it may have less volume partly because you are not having to shift around like a contortionist to get in or out, mainly though it’s because I can have the fly zipped open and it just feels more open because the sky is right there…

I do have a new setup I have yet to try; the Decshutes tarp I love it too but it’s not a tent in the same way as the Nemo. It does offer a tremendous amount of flexibility given the nature of it. It is lower than the Nemo though and one has to be ok with the basic setup I plan to use it in if you want to maximize weight savings otherwise it will weight the same as the Nemo which would eliminate one of its great advantages.

I continue to wholeheartedly recommend the Nemo 1p if it fits you there remains no real competitor in the market yet as far as I can tell.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Hornet 2 is a great tent. Not limited on room at all. I’ve not used the Big Agnes to compare it with but the Hornet is roomy, sturdy and well ventilated.

I’ve not used the 1P, but all of those tend to be on the restrictive side though.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I love the Nemo Hornet 1P. Used it here in Montana on a Beartooth hike last August. Absolutely outstanding, and very spacious. Not at all “coffin like” for my 5’10” frame. I ditched the Factory Stuff bag in favor of a Tarptent Stuff Bag, including one for the pegs. I also swapped out the heavier Nemo stakes for MSR. I cut a Tyvek groundsheet for it. All-up weight is 32.9 oz’s with everything.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I have a Nemo 1P in my arsenal. I’m 6’2″. I would never say its a palace but I found it surprisingly comfortable for the size and weight.  By replacing the stakes, the tent “all in” is 29oz which I find very appealing. I love the room and weight of my Altaplex, but I have found I enjoy the Nemo more in the colder months when condensation is more of a factor.

Robert A
    BPL Member

@akmerlin

Thanks everyone for your posts. Ordered a Nemo 2P, deciding that since my bike will carry the weight usually, the extra few ounces were worth the two doors, larger space, and ability to bring my wife, if she can be enticed. Cheers, all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools