Topic

Need suggestions for a relatively easy 3 day hike in Sierras (CA)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Need suggestions for a relatively easy 3 day hike in Sierras (CA)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I would like to ask for your suggestions on some relatively easy, but pretty hikes that offer good views,  fishing opportunities. Ideally a loop so we can go start and finish at the same spot without going over the same trails.

My dad and I used to hike around Mammoth/Thousand Island Lake and adjacent JMT, but he is older now and we need to take things easier. Additionally, I plan on taking my 8 year old with us to have some bonding time.

We would be looking to do 5-7 miles per day, so that kid is not too exhausted and we have plenty of breaks. We will rely on fishing to supplement our food, so the trail needs to be by river/stream/lakes.

Would be looking to spend 2-3 nights and then head back. We are in San Diego so it will involve a fun car trip :)

Ideas, suggestions?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

My website, backpackthesierra.com, has a ton of suggestions for hikes just like this.  Among those I would recommended are:

A loop out of Marvin Meadows to Lake Seville, Twin Lakes, and Jennnie Lake

Dinkey Lakes out of Courtwright Reservoir

Crabtree to Gem lake, Woods Lake, and Grouse Lake in Emigrant Wilderness

Green Lakes to West lake, Hoover Lake, and out. Not quite a loop, but still good.

Twenty Lakes Basin just East of Yosemite.

Lots of options,  Lots and lots of options.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Starting at Echo lake, it’s pretty easy into Aloha Lake in Desolation wilderness. A good route would then be over Dicks Pass to the lakes on the other side to camp, and then a very easy hike out to the road on your third day.

This isn’t a loop, however.

You could day hike out of Aloha and then move your camp to one of the nearby lakes for night two; and then hike back to Echo Lake.
    OR, start at the trailhead out of Fallen Leaf Lake and then make a loop taking in Aloha any number of ways.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Little lakes Valley trailhead is the most spectacular, spectacularly easy, high elevation hiking in the Sierra’s.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Thank you all for the suggestions, I will be checking them out! Love the community here :)

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Yuri
    I would second the recommendation of Little Lakes Valley, from the Mosquito Flat Trailhead at the end of Rock Creek Rd. Rock Creek is halfway between Mammoth and Bishop. The trailhead is at about 10000 feet but there are no big climbs if you do a loop around the valley. Great fishing and very dog friendly. The parking is shared between dayhikers and backpackers so the lot fills up quickly especially on weekends. There is a backpacker campsite near the parking area which might be recommended for acclimating if you are driving up from sea level. Permits are avaiable at the Bishop ranger station.

I would also second the recommendation of Crabtree to Gem lake, Woods Lake, and Grouse Lake in the Emigrant Wilderness. You start from a lower elevation than Little Lakes. There are several ridges to cross over but no big passes. You could even spend two nights at Gem Lake. Not as scenic as Rock Creek but the fishing is usually good. There is camping at the trailhead. Permits are available at the Pinecrest ranger station.

jennifer r
    BPL Member

@ultrajen

2nd this as about the easiest and most beautiful you can do. Cottonwood also.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

+1 to Cottonwood Lakes/Pass area. Cottonwood pass is very easy, and the Big Whitney Meadow area just beyond is pretty spectacular.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I wonder what the poster ended up doing…?

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Not really Sequoia but very beautiful and at least 4 lakes in a days hike.  Go to Tahoe.  Take the bus to Reds Meadow.  By the Ranger Station on the PCT there’s a stretch north with a bunch of lakes within like 8 miles.  Last I was there they have fishing with lures only and golden trout it might be catch and release but I’m not sure.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Oh this is old sorry about my stupid reply above it fails in many areas.  I tried to edit but it didn’t work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools