Topic

Need suggestions for a destination

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Need suggestions for a destination

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

<p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>My 16 year old grandson and I are going backpacking for 3 days the next week (a spur of the moment trip). We were hoping to go to Desolation Wilderness, but there is too much snow for our skill level.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>I would welcome any suggestions that the group may have regarding a good destination (hopefully within a 4 hour drive of the Bay Area).<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Point Reyes is full.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Our limit is about 8 miles per day.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Thanks</span></p>

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Snow Mountain wilderness in Mendocino Nat’l Forest is a possibility; I have been in a couple times, both from Deafy Glade trailhead. Not sure of the drive time, but I think around 4 hours. And despite the name, should be mostly snow free.

Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

Thank you for the suggestion.  That area is actually closed for “fire restoration”.  It looks like a very nice area.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country
    • Henry Coe State Park.  Plenty of interesting trails, and this time of year you might even have some good fishing ..
    Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

We ended up going to the Trinity Alps.  The drive was a little longer, but it ended up being worth it.  We even saw a bear the first night.  He came to visit while we were eating dinner.  I guess he smelled the food and wanted to check it out.  Used an ursack for our food and other smellables, and tied it to a tree about 100 yards from camp.  No problems.  It was a wonderful trip.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

where’d you go in trinity alps

thats a nice area with lots of different areas to go

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

What were the snow and bug conditions?

Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

We went to Granite Lake. There was a lot of snow on the north side of the lake. None on the south side.  Lots of water to walk through. I discovered that hiking with wet feet isn’t so bad. Bugs were not a problem. We got started late and spent the first night about 4 miles from the swift creek trailhead. That is where we saw the bear.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools