Topic

Need help picking a shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help picking a shelter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anna T
    BPL Member

@anna-t-2

I’ve been looking into ultralight shelters but am overwhelmed by the options and would love some input from the wise folks here at BPL. Most of my backpacking/horse camping experience thus far has been without shelter, but I would like the flexibility to go places/times of year with more likelihood of rain and wind. Also, after waking up one morning on the trail with an eye swollen shut from an insect bite, I’d like to have some kind of bug netting involved.

I live in California and do most of my backpacking here — e.g., Los Padres National Forrest, Sespe Wilderness, lower Sierras. I don’t do any snow/ice stuff.

Criteria:
    – shelter from rain
    – enclosed bug netting
    – 1 or 2 person capacity
    – under $300
    – light weight
    – doesn’t require trekking poles to set up (but an option for that would be a plus; e.g., can replace supplied poles with trekking poles to reduce weight)
    – not overly complicated or time-consuming to set up

Can be single- or double-walled, doesn’t matter as long as it’ll dry out all right in my pack’s mesh pocket during the day. Could be one complete system, or separate products that put together fulfill the requirements (e.g., tarp and bivy). If a bivy, though, it’d have to be something with a popup section above the head or that ties up to the tarp–otherwise I don’t think I’m ready to sleep in quite so cramped a space.

Please share any suggestions and wisdom you have about various products. Thanks!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
    Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

I hike primarily in the Los Padres and Sespe and haven’t found the need for a bug net (esp with this 4+ yr draught). I use a MLD Trailstar or MLD Duomid.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

For no trekking poles & a sil nylon budget I’d go straight to one of the Tarptent options. Rainbow or Moment, 1P or 2P

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I presume people typically pitch the Protrail and MoTrail with a trekking pole but you can buy substitute poles for either shelter.  Both are lightweight and reasonably priced.

I own neither but they both seem to receive favorable reviews around here and TT has a great reputation.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Tarptent Notch.  It sets up with 2 trekking poles, but there are optional poles (light ones or sturdier ones) you can buy for times you don’t bring your trekking poles.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Sectionhiker just did a nice review of lightweight 2-person, double-walled shelters. You should catch the end of the memorial day sales if you act fast to keep you in budget.

As others have mentioned tarptents are great too.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m a big fan of TarpTents in this price range but I have not enjoyed carrying my Notch in my Kumo or Burn backpacks because of the length of the packed tent due to the rigid end struts. Just something to think about if you carry a small volume pack…

Anna T
    BPL Member

@anna-t-2

Wow, thank you for all the helpful replies!

Nick, I agree the bugnet is not necessary in much of CA, but it’d be nice to have that flexibility if I go somewhere else. I’ll look into those tarps though, thanks.

Looks like Tarptent is coming up a lot. The Moment looks great, though a bit heavier than I’d want. I’m thinking I should get some trekking poles (was going to get them eventually anyway) and maybe go with the Notch. I like the weight/cost balance and the flexibility to set up/pack just the fly or just the net. Now to find a used one!

Thanks again

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

there are several “double walled” tents that are free standing (or close to it) and decently light from the various manufacturers

as said they are basically all on sale now with 20%+ off due to the holiday sales …

for a newish user they are perhaps the “easiest” to use … as a free standing tent can be pitched anywhere (wooden tent platforms, solid granite, compacted popular campsites, etc) pretty easily

also many online retailers offer free return shipping if it doesnt work out the first time you set it up

;)

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

In your neck of the woods, I wouldn’t think that a double wall would be critical. In addition to tarptents, take a look at sixmoondesigns lunar series and Lightheart gear, as well as some of the lighter offerings from Big Agnes. I have a SMD lunar duo and love it.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

> I have not enjoyed carrying my Notch in my Kumo or Burn backpacks because of the length of the packed tent due to the rigid end struts <<

I’ve heard this mentioned before and I’ve never had a problem with packing my notch in my Burn (I’ve been using this combo for a few years).  When I pack my Notch into my Burn, I grab all of the struts in one hand and stuff the unfolded Notch into my pack.  I hang onto the struts and just tuck them down the inside edge of the pack the same as I would if I was packing the optional tent poles that I bought for my Notch.  The struts fit nicely up the inside of my Burn, just don’t try to place them flat in the bottom of your pack or roll the tent around the struts, that will create a packing issue.  YMMV, but this works really well for me  (and I really like the Notch!).

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Look into the MSR ultralight solo backpacking tents – a bit pricey, but you might find one on sale or used for sale.  Two are free standing double walled and one is double walled, but not really free standing.  I have owned and used both the Hubba and Carbon Reflex 1 in earlier generations and found them both to be excellent tents.  A plus is that MSR is excellent at standing behind their products.  My Hubba had a problem with the interior of the rain fly getting “tacky” – I returned it to them and got a brand new rain fly at no charge.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools