Topic

Need Help Finding the Right Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need Help Finding the Right Tent

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nate V
    BPL Member

@nv43

Locale: Midwest

Brief rundown of what I’m looking for:
    Price: Around $400 or less.
    Weight: Lower is better, not super picky but under 5lbs is preferred.
    Size: Likely 3 person
    Use case: 3 season; 2 people and 2 dogs.

To provide some detail on the above, I bought a Tarptent StratoSpire 2 last year and used it on a few trips. I found it to be too small for myself (6′), my girlfriend, and 2 dogs (45lbs and 85lbs). I knew it might be a bit cramped but I was hoping I could get by with the sidecar for one of the dogs. Turns out he refuses to be in a separate “room” than us in the tent.

That aside, I really liked the tent aside from not having time to set it up beforehand and having to learn to set it up in the dark. This could be a consequence of the previous statement but I found that I rolled into the trekking pole in the night and woke up to the tent on top of me. Outside of the first night, things weren’t as bad, but I’m not sure I’m in love with the idea of trekking pole tents.

Having said that, I’m looking to move on to something different that might suit our needs better. Durability is key here, having 2 dogs in the tent with us. I’ve found myself gravitating toward the Nemo tents as they have the pawprint option. I’m not sure if I could accomplish something similar with other brands with some DIY solution. If anyone has done something like this, I’d really appreciate any info you may have.

I’ve considered the following:
    Nemo Dagger 3p – Can’t really find any cons here, though I am also finding issues finding many reviews. I really like the pawprint option.
    Copper Spur HV UL3 – This really appeals to me, but I’m concerned about the fragility of the fabrics used considering the dogs.
    Nemo Losi 3p – Also looks nice and again I like the pawprint. Heavy for a backpacking tent at ~6lbs
    REI Half Dome 3 Plus – Budget friendly but heavy again at ~6lbs

Anything I should consider outside of these? Any opinions on the ones listed above?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Have you considered not trekking pole supported TarpTents like the Cloudburst or Rainshadow?  One thing to consider is that I have found TarpTents to be roomier than other brands of tents.  You might find the Copper Spur UL3 to be not much more roomy than the main body of the Stratospire.

The pawprint seems like a pretty easy DIY for just about every other tent.  Just get a piece of fabric to the right size and attach snaps to it and your tent: https://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-DYIXIN-Buttons-Fastener-Clothes/dp/B07JKTGJYT/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=snaps&qid=1584475857&sr=8-16

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Cheaper, bigger, lighter and more windproof than you’ve asked for would be the Black Diamond Mega Lite.  List of $319, I see it currently at $269 on Amazon.

It’s a 4-person pyramid and includes a carbon fiber pole in it’s 2.5 pound weight.  It’s been our go-to tent in the Aleutians because it’s so good in the wind.

And the dogs?  They’d make good use of the perimeter space since they don’t need the headroom.  You could probably have 3 humans and the two dogs in there – you certainly could in a pinch.

It doesn’t have a floor, so I usually bring poly-cyro.  Maybe bring some Tyvek for where the dogs are – it will last forever.

It sets up really quick.  You can jump under it and reach a hand out to set stakes on 2-3 sides and then take a quick trip outside for the last few stakes and any adjustments.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Without the inner he could have fit all into the Tarptent SS2….

there is a mesh inner for that DB, but then it may not be cheaper and or lighter.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/tents-and-bivys/mega-bug-tent-BD8005090000ALL1.html

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’m with David.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Yeah, the BD Mega Lite really shines when you’re not worried about bugs.  Hence its popularity for snow camping (plus the ability to dig trenches and benches and picnic tables into the snow; build a little night stand for your alarm clock; and to get full standing height).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I own, and still use occasionally, the Chouinard Pyramid that I bought in the ‘80s. Good product. I brought to one of the GGGs a few years go.

Nate V
    BPL Member

@nv43

I’ve seen some pyramid style tents that look interesting. How easy is it to accidentally knock down the center pole? I’m worried about knocking it over in the night.

I’ll have to run it by my girlfriend as I don’t think she’d be open to being so exposed without the mesh.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Properly tensioned guys and stakes it is pretty difficult. Once in awhile I want to move the center in my “mid” (I have a couple. It takes more effort than you might think.

Karen Kennedy
    BPL Member

@karenk

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics

Tarptent Hogback is plenty roomy, easy setup, weather worthy. We fit 2 adults and 2 kids easily and comfortably – are the dogs bigger than kids?

A little over your budget, try for a second hand one maybe?

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Tarptent Cloudburst would fit all of your requirements.

You will hate have the pole in the middle of your living space with any Mid.  And to Franco’s point, if you add the inner net tent, you are likely over the weight limit that you are proposing.

Nate V
    BPL Member

@nv43

If I relax the weight restriction a bit is there a good option that I might be missing?

I’ll take a look at the Hogback and Cloudburst.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools