Topic

Need drainage for side pockets, Granite Gear Blaze 60

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need drainage for side pockets, Granite Gear Blaze 60

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I love my Granite Gear Blaze 60 pack, except for one small thing. The side pockets have a small opening in the corner, to allow water to pass on through. But it isn’t really sufficient in a steady downpour. Water tends to pool in the pocket if there’s anything else in the pocket (maybe blocking the hole?).  Then the moisture seeps through into the bottom of the pack. I was thinking about putting another drain hole in, but i don’t want to weaken the fabric too much or have it fray. Those of you with experience working with this fabric, any suggestions? The lower part of the pockets is the same as the pack body, 100D Robic with DWR.

I could go to a pack cover instead, but I don’t have any other issues in rain, so hate to have to carry one more thing.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Melt melt a hole.

Grab a Phillips screwdriver and a propane torch (or some means of heating the tip of the driver). Get the tip nice and hot and then just touch it against the fabric in the spot you want the drainage hole to be. The melting of the fabric should prevent fraying, but if you’re unhappy with the outcome, just put a little bit of aquaseal on the fabric around the hole. Practice on a piece of scrap fabric if you want to be able to anticipate the outcome when you use it on the pack.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I put a few stainless steel spur grommets in the bottom of my climbing pack that I use for canyoneering. I got tired of carrying around gallons of water every time I exited a pothole. Works great and looks professional.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools