Topic

Need a new sleeping pad approach

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a new sleeping pad approach

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mark Davis
    BPL Member

@markadavis

Locale: Upper Midwest

My wife and I currently use a Synmat Hyperlite Duo inflatable pad with a Zpacks quilt.  We both wake up several times a night with hip pain.  We used to use separate NeoAir Xlites and had similar hip pain, but not as much.  We really prefer a “couples” sleeping pad as we still enjoy snuggling under the quilt.  Anyone have any other recommendations on a couples sleeping pad/mattress that would possibly address the hip pain.  We are both side sleepers, which may be part of the issue.  Of course, I would still like a lightweight solution.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Are your hips bottoming out? If so, try inflating it a bit more.

On the other hand, if you’re like me and you are predominantly side, but sometimes back sleeper, you may find that having it inflated too much gives you lower back pain. I found that if the pad was too firm, I had no support under the small of my back because I wouldn’t “sink into” the pad, making me very uncomfortable. Simply letting out some air made a big difference.

If keeping it soft enough for your backs causes your hips to bottom out, maybe you could supplement with a CFC pad underneath the inflatable.

Another, but certainly not ultralight, suggestion would be Big Agnes’s Double Z pads, which are 50″ wide and 4″ thick. But they weigh 50 and 57 ounces for the non insulated and insulated versions.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Interesting…  My wife and I did the same thing… Xlites to hyperlite duo, under a Zpacks quilt.  We dont have hip pain with either system so I’m of no real use.

Maybe deflate your pads a bit?  If necessary get the big agnes 4″ pads for the extra deflation capacity.

edit…I think you have your answer

Mark Davis
    BPL Member

@markadavis

Jim, our hips are not bottoming out.  In fact, quite the opposite.  I inflate the mattress as much as I can.  Based on your’s and Jeff’s comments, I’ll try not inflating the mattress as much and see if that helps.

Over the last several years, we’ve managed to decrease our base weight substantially for us.  Our base weight for a week long trip is now about 18 lbs total (about 9 lbs each) for us both, depending on what odds and ends we take for a given trip and the expected weather.  I’d hate to add the weight of the Big Agnes, but I’d do it if I had too as a comfortable sleep is one of my wife’s requirements!

Thanks for your suggestions guys.  I will deflate the mattress on our upcoming trip in August.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pstur11

not much out there for 2 person pads. i’d suggest sticking to using two identical pads that are attached together. As to your hip pain, I’d suggest oging to REI and trying out a bunch of pads.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Wife and I have this problem and trying new technique, where we only take 3/4 length closed cell foam pads and are forcing ourselves to learn to sleep on our backs. <span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>It doesn’t work at all, but if we’re going to toss and turn all night anyway, we can at least free ourselves of the headache of inflating our sleeping pad.</span>

Mark Davis
    BPL Member

@markadavis

Thanks Brandon.  I’ll keep that in mind if a slight deflation doesn’t address the issue.  As our next hike is the third week in August, I should know soon enough.  I could test ahead of time, but why do so when you have a perfectly comfortable bed.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Bet it’s the inflation issue.

But if not, you’ve tried horizontal baffles, you’ve tried vertical baffles. That leaves the V-shaped baffles on Klymt Static Vs.

Andrew Brown
    Spectator

@asb87

You might actually want to try sleeping or taking a nap on you pad at home and see if the problem still persists.  If the problem does not occur when you sleep on your pad at home, then it’s likely that what’s causing the problem is not the sleeping pad itself or your sleeping style, but, instead, something that you do during the day while hiking. For example, I’ve found that hip belts on some packs can cause soreness and even bruising  on my hips–especially when wearing a belt or pants with thick belt loops underneath my pack’s hip belt.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

(I posted this yesterday but it woudn’t post. So I took out the links… hmm…)

“We used to use separate NeoAir Xlites and had similar hip pain, but not as much.  We really prefer a “couples” sleeping pad as we still enjoy snuggling under the quilt.  …”

My wife and I always got hip and numb arm pain if we slept on our side. If you let air out, the R value goes down. But we still got pain. I love the Neoairs because theyr’e the lightest small-package option. For us to use them, we just have to sleep on our back. We can sleep on our side but we need to turn on the back in < hour. There are 3 pads that work for us sleeping on our side all night:

1. Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated Pad, 14.5oz. I’ve been taking this one more and more as I just love its comfort. And it’s so quick to pump up and take down. They have the best inflation/deflation port for its weight.
    2. Big Agnes Q Core SL, 18oz. My wife prefers this one. 3.5” thickness feels good. It does take a little longer to pump up and take down. But I’ll do it for my wife. Sometimes I take the NoeAir pump.
    3. Z-Lite full size sleeping pad, 14oz. Yes this is a CCF. However, fold it in half so it’s twice as thick. Put your pack under the legs and coat under your head. I was surprised how good it felt. So if you want a pad that won’t get holes, this is the way to go. I just don’t use it very much as it’s a hassle to carry. I like using my GG Murmur the most which this pad won’t fit.

We can handle a doubled-up CCF because our home bed is an extremely firm IKEA 3.5” foam pad with a board underneath. I.e., we’re used to firmness; just not so firm that your side-sleeping arm goes numb. I.e., it’s firm but has the perfect give.

To keep the pads together we use one of the following:

1. Thermarest universal couple kit. 2.5oz
    2. A thin rubber shelf liner, 12” x 30”. 1.5oz. We use this option the most. Put the single liner under the mats so each mat covers half of it. We like this because not only does it keeps the mats together, but it prevents the pads from slipping on the tent floor.
    3. GG ThinLight pad, 2.5oz. Put underneath to hold the pad. BTW, for 4 season this is a great pad to put ON my inflatable pad to keep me warm.
    4. If we sleep on Z-Lite’s, then nothing is needed as these tend to stay in place. What a simple solution…. just bulky.

Just more thoughts…

-Barry

-The Tetons were made for Tevas

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“On the other hand, if you’re like me and you are predominantly side, but sometimes back sleeper, you may find that having it inflated too much gives you lower back pain. I found that if the pad was too firm, I had no support under the small of my back because I wouldn’t “sink into” the pad, making me very uncomfortable. Simply letting out some air made a big difference.”

This was precisely my experience as well.

It took a few trips before I could notice the “pattern” of trying to over inflate the pad, and my hips & lower back hurting. My best workaround was to add a 1/8″ ccf pat ON TOP of the NeoRest, and make sure I inflated the pad only as required. Since I added the ccf, I’ve never experienced the lower hip & back pain again. It not only added some much needed firmness, but added some additional R value as well. Now given your desire to couple the pads together, I suspect adding the ccf’s might become a little clunky.

But whatever you & your wife do; definitely try out various solutions at home before you set off on a multi-day trip. Just like clothing, packs, shoes, and sleeping bags, it’s very possible you both may end up with different systems.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I am also a side/hip sleeper. I’ve had good experiences with my z-lite.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Also take some Vitamin I (Ibuprophen) before bedtime. :^o

Mark Davis
    BPL Member

@markadavis

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If letting out some air doesn’t work, I will try the other suggestions. While backpacking is more my passion, my wife loves going, especially when she gets her sleep.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Glad to help, Mark. It’s funny how long it took me to realize I needed to let air out. Please do follow up if you find that, or something else, works for you.

It’s nice that we’ve got BPL to share little, cost free tips that seem obvious in hindsight, but which we kick ourselves for not thinking of. That definitely was the case for me.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I generally agree with what’s said here.

Deflating the pad allows you to sink in more, so your body weight is spread out over more area (less pressure). This is important for side sleepers who have a relatively modest contact area on a firm pad, so the hips can get sore.

At the other extreme, really soft pads can also cause discomfort as your body distorts to an atypical posture. A normal matttress at home can be really soft because it’s not a sealed air chamber. If your butt sinks down, that doesn’t push other body parts upwards. Conversely a camping mattress is a sealed chamber, so back sleepers commonly experience lower back soreness when their butt sinks in deep while the pad bulges up into the lumbar area. This effectively stretches the back backwards a little more than it’s used to, so it gets sore. Bulge related problems are less of an issue for side sleepers, but you can still wind up in a problematic posture when your hips sink in deep and your spine ends up really curved as the pad bulges up under your lower back.

So my experience is that I have the easiest time falling asleep on a very soft pad, but I wake up the least sore when I have my pad just soft enough that I don’t get sore pressure spots, and not much softer.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

I am primarily a side sleeper.  My suggestion is to try what I do:

1.) Inflate your pad

2.) Lay on your side how you’d sleep, with your hand (knuckles out/down) under your hip.

3.) Let a little air out with the other hand.  Then, either bounce hip slightly or lift your feet slightly to have your hip sink in more.  Do this until you feel about 1/2 of “bounce distance” from your “hip” sleep position the ground.

HTH

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

One suggestion I haven’t noticed above is a CCF donut under the hip.

Mark Davis
    BPL Member

@markadavis

We just finished our short hike of the CDT from Stony Pass to Squaw pass.  As promised, here is my follow up on deflating the mattress.  Less inflation of the mattress did help the hip pain.  It did not completely eliminate the pain.  Ibuprofen in combo with the deflation took care of it.

The mattress is difficult to repeatedly get the inflation level correct.  Just a little change in pressure as the mattress nears full appears to make a big difference.

Thanks for your help everyone.

OGGWild
    BPL Member

@wickdwarm_n_dry

Locale: Central Ohio

Dan Durston commented that back sleepers commonly experience lower back soreness when their butt sinks in deep while the pad bulges up into the lumbar area.

This is my problem, exactly. I’d like to see a slimmed-down version of something like this …

Flextail Cozy Lounger

In the mean time, I sacrifice some weight by using one of the ultralight/hospital pillows under a S2S Ether Light XT at a level above my knees, and a Flextail Zero or Hikenture pillow for my head.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

As Matthew suggested I place a ccf doughnut under my hip and use a pillow between my knees when on my side.  The combo, combined with a lower air pressure, has eliminated hip pain for me.  The ccf pad is what I use in my back panel for my back.  I removed the “hole” from the small of my back area as it rarely, if ever, comes in contact with my pack.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools