Topic

Nearest Water to Haypress and Hawk Camp, Marin Co

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Nearest Water to Haypress and Hawk Camp, Marin Co

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hey All,

Headed out on a bikepacking trip to Tenseness Valley in about 10 days.  Curious if anyone has any insight on the nearest water sources to Haypress and Hawk Camps?  Our current plan is to camel up in Mill Valley on the way out, but I’m hoping there is something closer. What about getting water from the horse stables at the trailhead?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There must be a source of potable water there. Caveat: On a longish walk last month in Scotland, I walked up to stable asked to fill up, and was guided to a different faucet than the one that fed the horse trough. So some horses get non potable water.

You could try calling the stable (Miwok?) and ask.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I stayed at Hawk twice on a loop through Marin County five years ago:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/90733/

Days after a big rainstorm, I found a large puddle of muddy water along the approach trail/road a couple hundred yards below camp. Didn’t look inviting and I was already carrying a bunch of water, so didn’t try to treat and drink. Picked up water at the Marin Headlands Rodeo Lagoon visitor center about 3.7 miles before Hawk on the return leg of the loop.

Passed the horse stables, specifically looking around for water. Didn’t see anything, but I wasn’t bold enough to walk in and ask, either.

At the coastal end of Tennessee Valley is a pond that almost always has water. The creek feeding it is seasonal. https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8436646,-122.5504088,581m/data=!3m1!1e3

HTH.

— Rex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools