Topic

NE — Seeking Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning NE — Seeking Advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Grayson M
    BPL Member

@grysn8683

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have planned a 5 night, 6 day trek through the Wind River Range in Wyoming for myself, my wife and my brother in-law.  However, the weather out west has turned south and it looks like we have some unseasonably cold weather coming in next week (our trip window.)

I don’t mind the cold, but my wife and brother aren’t so keen on trekking around in 10 degree weather. We are now in a position where we are scrambling for a backup location.

I’ve been looking at some possible trips to the Northeast, but I have very little experience as almost all of my long backpacking trips have been in the Rocky Mountains.

I would love to hear from some veterans — looking to spend ~5 days in the Northeast, the more remote, the better. The seclusion and wide open spaces of backpacking out west are really what do it for me.

Thanks for any and all advice!

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

You may have the same problem in the NE,I believe the weather is already turning above 5,000 ft. How about the Linville Gorge area of North Carolina? http://www.ncnatural.com/Resources/Adventure/Gorge/Linville-Gorge.html

I’ve never been, but Shug has some good youtube videos of it.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I did my first ever week in the Winds three weeks ago.  All I can say is, if it were me I’d toss in a few more layers and head on in!  (Sorry, not helpful I know…)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools