Topic

Mystery novel in the High Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mystery novel in the High Sierra

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I am delighted that Val de Grace books is releasing my series of mystery novels set in the High Sierra–first book is out June 15.

here’s what they say about it: Paul Wagner has combined his love of story-telling with his love of the Sierra to write a mystery novel, Danger: Falling Rocks, featuring ranger Dan Courtwright. It’s fun, exciting, and a great choice for summer reading, whether you are on a trip, or just enjoying a stay-cation. Highly recommended!

But don’t take our word for it—here are a couple of other opinions:
    “Danger: Falling Rocks” gives us a vibrant feel of the high Sierra, a charming new mystery hero, and an engaging, fast-moving mystery written with energy and a nice touch of wit. Paul Wagner’s love of the outdoors and his experience hiking and camping takes readers right into the mountains. The zippy writing keeps the story moving along the Sierra trails, through the lineup of interesting, quirky characters, and down the winding mystery path until the satisfying end. It’s a great summer read, whether or not you can find your way into the wilderness.”
    — Rick Kushman, best-selling NY Times author and co-host of Bottle Talk from Cap Radio in Sacramento

“It is an enjoyable read and reflects a lifestyle that not many people are blessed to lead. As a practitioner of this way of life and a pursuer of wilderness settings, this reading has my seal of approval.”
    — Chip Morrill, ex-US Forest Service Wilderness Ranger and White-Water Guide

“Paul Wagner is not only one of the great wine educators and wine story tellers in the world, now he is telling his stories in his new mystery novels. Can’t put the book down!!”

–Brian Murphy, President, Wine Cruise Club, Expedia Cruise Ship Centers

If you want a signed copy, PM me and we’ll work it out somehow…

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Got a nice review today…

SASHA PAULSEN, Napa Register
    “Danger: Falling Rocks,” clever and captivating, is greatly enriched by the setting Wagner creates in meticulous detail. He pulls readers along on a trail through the mountains, keenly observing a world in which the greatest threat, of course, is humans…

An excellent excursion for armchair mountaineers, “Danger: Falling Rocks,” could also inspire one to dust off the old backpack and head for the hills….

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Congrats, Paul! Very cool.

I’ll shoot you a PM to follow up about buying a signed copy.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Congratulations!  Any chance you’re also doing an audio version?

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Congratulations, Paul! A series of four books will hopefully be enough to fight the onset of cabin fever in a couple of months when the summer is gone and the Sierra becomes a distant memory. Do you have any plans to release them as Kindle versions or eBooks in addition to the paperback versions?

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Yep – Kindle versions a must…..as I read on my phone while backpacking.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Kindle versions are in the works, but probably not for a few months.  Just got a note from the publisher that he’s delighted with the reviews, and is going to give this book more if a push…

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Apologies to those who are trying to buy the book through Amazon.  The first copies sold out.  We should have new copies available by July 1.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Hope the Kindle version comes out before too long–I always bring mine on BP trips. And congratulations on a successful debut!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

It may be a while.  The publisher says they usually wait a bit before releasing the e-version, to encourage people to buy the book….

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I’ll keep a watch for it. I’m “following” you.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Cool!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Hey Paul I pm’d you based on “If you want a signed copy, PM me and we’ll work it out somehow…”

I’d like to support your endeavor AND I’m sure the book will be very entertaining.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Good news! Printing more books today, so Amazon should have them for sale by Friday. Whew! https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Hope you can wait until then…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools