Topic

MYOG hammock?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG hammock?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

anything tricky about making your own hammock? I have a ton of silnylon from an old parachute and have been thinking about trying hammock camping. Seams like making a hammock would be easy and would use up a lot of material. They seem like just a rectangular piece w/ a beefy channel on either end.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Silnylon is great for the tarp, but you want breathable stuff for the bottom. Silnylon would be very sweaty. In fact, I would expect to wake up in a little (cold!) pool. Silnylon works good for an “under cover” like a windshirt for your hammock. I had a hoodless poncho made for multi-purpose rain gear and hammock under cover. It has elastic drawstrings in the poncho hems to gather the ends and hang it. Here’s one example of an under cover (non-poncho)  https://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/product/under-quilt-protectors/ Hennesy uses an undercover as part of their SuperShelter system.

A gathered end hammock is very simple to make. Create end channels with triple stitched seams and a simple rolled hem on the sides. Study the dimensions and fabrics used in the Warbonnet Traveler: https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/travelers-no-net-ridgerunners/

(cough cough) I happen to have a simple hammock with very good suspension components on Gear Swap.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Dear Ryan, I hammock camp, but I’m just learning to sew, so I can’t help with the particulars of making a hammock. I’m sure there’s lots of info online. As you say, it seems simple enough…

However, if I were to make one, I would avoid silnylon for lack of breathability. Maybe use it for the tarp? Or a partial sock with a netting/breathable top half? Other accessories to the hammock?

Good luck!

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Good comments on the breathability. having no experience w/ hammocks (other than the mexican woven ones you get in Cancun), that didn’t even occur to me. I actually have some other material from a couple old large tents (being tossed by the wilderness department at the camp I work at) which I may consider trying out instead then.

And Dale, as much as I’d love to relieve you of your hammock, I’m not interested in one right now :) I’ve got a couple other items to purchase first. I’ve got a couple bits of gear posted (most not on BPL) that I’m waiting to sell. Then I’ll probably post a couple WTBs in GearSwap.

R
    Spectator

@autox

Hammock patterns (designed by a parachute guy):

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/reference-resource-index/#post-3498406

Some parachute fabrics may be too light for a hammock.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Thx for the link Rene! I hadn’t come across that reference string before. Looks like tons of good info!

R
    Spectator

@autox

Sure.

If you use anything in it and have feedback to share, note the companion thread mentioned at the top.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Here’s the method I use:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/126462-Quick-video-of-how-I-sew-a-hammock

Hexon fabric by Dutchwaregear.com is my choice.  I like the 1.0 and the 1.6.  I’m 185lbs for reference.  YMMV

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools