Topic

MYOG cuben rain kilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG cuben rain kilt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have the storm door from a older hexamid

I sold the tent but still have this piece of 0.51 osy cuben.  I recently got the idea to make this into a rain kilt.  Even with its odd shape it seems like it could do the job, covering to just below my knees for the most part.  Because it is not symmetrical, I am imagining that I would keep the longest side toward the rain as necessary.

I have some ideas about how I will put this together.  My questions stem from not having worked much with any fabric before.  My myog list using soft materials consists of a small pack lid sort of container mad from tyvek which I made with scissors, tyvek, tape and a bit of adhesive for the zipper.  Note no sewing.  While I have used a needle and thread before, I don’t know how to use a sewing machine and not in a big hurry to learn how quite yet.

Enough background, here it goes.  I am envisioning this quilt as being held to my waist via velcro.  Just wrap and have an overlap of around 8 inches.  the bottom of the kilt will be about 12 inches longer than the top, so it is a bit of a cone.  Wondering about cutting the cuben.  It is presently hemmed, and I am wondering if that in necessary?  If so is sewing necessary, or would cuben tape be sufficient (albeit a bit heavier likely?)

Tips and suggestions welcomed, not cutting material until I am sure about it.  I have cut a version out of paper to use as a template for the real deal.

thanks, Matt

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

A bit of searching yielded a page on the yama mountain gear website showing using double sided transfer tape to make a hem.  Should have thought of that one as that is what I did on my MYOG polycro ground sheet.

Still wondering how the velcro will work out for holding the skirt on.  I have resigned to hand sewing this on, at least for reinforcement, so the velcro does not separate from the cuben when I pull the two pieces apart.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I would think it would be stronger to sew the velcro to a strip of cuben repair tape then taping it right onto the skirt. This is the same method Yama uses to attach the inner of their single wall Cirriform to the fly. I own one myself and can say the two are not coming apart.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Hi Hoosier, are you suggesting to sew the velcro to cuben repair tape, then use the tape adhesive to stick the velcro to the cuben?  I was thinking of using velcro with adhesive and then sewing the two together.  Since the cuben is so thin I was considering adding some reinforcement with the cuben scraps left over, so it was more like 1osy cuben in that area rather than 0.5 osy.

I have realized that some sewing is required, but I am thinking the double stick adhesive ought to make a decent hem for this, rather than sewing the hem.  I have some tape on order, so I am not working this until the tape arrives and I get back from vacation.

thanks, Matt

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Yep! So you will still roll the hems with the double sided. Then just sew regular Velcro right to the single sided cuben tape and stick it right on where you want it. Zpacks sells a few accessories that are done just like this. Various things sewn to cuben tape so you can just peel off the back and slap them right onto your cuben item.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tape.shtml

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Awesome, thanks for the advice Hoosier!
    <div class=”yj6qo ajU”></div>

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I’m looking forward to seeing how this comes out :-)

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

I am also.  I will take pictures and post them.  I won’t get started for another week though as I am presently on vacation in DC.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Almost there.  After much thought and trying a tyvek prototype, I opted to not cut the cuben.  You have heard, measure twice, cut once.  Well, it seems like when I cut I end up with something not quite right.  So I used the double side acrylic tape to just fold down the extra material.  It will be in the back, so I am hoping the multiple layers will add a bit of durability to the kilt for sitting.  I taped it up with masking tape to get it where I wanted it,

then used the double sided tape to hold the extra material in place.

I added the velcro, first sewing it to cuben tape.  What a pain.  But I am hoping it is worth it in the long run.

One thing left to figure out.  The velcro and extra width go in the back, to help it be more open and easy to walk in, take big steps, etc.  But I know I need to somehow secure the outer flap to the inner at some point to keep it from blowing open in the back.  First idea is velcro, but I also am considering a hole and toggle with either elastic or just a short piece of line.  I will sleep on it and see how I feel about it tomorrow, or if any other wise folks here chime in.

Currently weighs a whopping 1.4 oz.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

I added a mitten hook and loop half way up the kilt to help keep it closed in the rain.  Tried it in the main 4 different orientations, and I like the flexibility of moving it around as the weather might dictate.  Used it in the shower for about 3 minutes with my dri-ducks rain jacket, stayed all dry from the knees up.  I won’t get to field test it in rain until my High Sierra Trail hike in August, so til then it goes back in the gear bin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools