Topic

My severe cold gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking My severe cold gear list

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert
    1. Sorel felt pacs -> with US Divers 3 mm neoprene socks for VBL and poly liners
    2. Cabela’s GTX Thinsulate ski pants -> or Duluth Trading fleece-lined nylon cargo pants
    3. Eddi Bauer PEAK XV -30 F. down parka -> colder than -30 and I stay home for safety reasons
    4. LL Bean -20 F. down bag -> with REI FLASH All Season mattress and Ridgerest pad
    5. OR GTX mitten shells W/ Dachstein boiled wool liners -> have kept me toasty at -40 F.
    6. Duluth Trading fur ball cap -> Rabbit fur ear and neck flaps, quilted synthetic main cap
    7. SERIUS light fleece balaclava -> can be worn under insulated ball cap
    8. ski goggles -> in severe cold they keep your face much warmer and prevent frostbite when worn with the balaclava or a face mask
    9. Windstopper light fleece gloves -> when finger dexterity is needed, as in cooking, photography, etc.
    10. MSR Universal stove in white gas (petrol) mode -> may add Trail Designs Sidewinder ti woodturning stove for melting snow to save white gas.

That’s about it.

What is your severe cold weather gear list?

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Eric, it’d be helpful to define severe cold. Is that below 0F? Wind chill?

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Sorel felt boots are great but they can contribute to “foot rot” if you live in them for months at a time.  They don’t breathe too well.

Good to see someone here on BPL takes a down parka and not a mere puffy etc.  On all my winter trips I take a FF Icefall parka with 15.3 ozs of wonderful goose down—it’s a sleeping bag with arms.

LL Bean -20F bag—This will probably stop working at around -5F (the 15 degree rule).  If I was gonna see -20F consistently I’d get a -30F or -40F goose down bag—for night time comfort and security.

My current winter bag is a WM Puma rated at -15F and it works great at 0F and hits its edge right around -10F.

No mention of base tops or midlayers or outer layers (merino/capilene/fleece)—but I’m sure you got that figured out.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Ski googles are a big help. An alternative is a tunnel hood and ruff on your parka.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Lots of Hot Hands! A thermos of hot whatever in a wool sock. An extra layer of lightweight foam (could be a ridge rest, a Zlite, or a piece of outhouse blue foam (unused in that way). Something to sit and lie on that protects from the cold. Neck gaiter.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Yes, Hot Hands.  For 40 years of winter camping I never “acquiesced” to taking Hot Hands but last winter I said what the heck and packed several packets for hand warmth when packing up on cold mornings.  Now they are part of my standard load.

And the contents can be sprinkled into a firepit and the pouch burned.  I like to put two pouches—one each in the pockets of my down parka and let the goose down hold the heat.  They last about 10 hours before “going out.”

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Mark, I’m defining severe cold as 0 F. and below.

Walter, I would be traveling, usually on Tele skis & skins, so when traveling my insulation layer would be a synthetic jacket with Thermolite insulation. Good synthetic insulator but not the very best. I would use that layer inside my sleeping bag when needed. Same with the pants.

David, Yep on the fur ruff.  Last spring I purchased a really nice coyote fur piece and will soon make it into a Velcro attaching/detaching fur ruff that can be flipped forward to form a “breathing tunnel”. Currently I’m pinning on various trial cloths to see just how to best position it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools