Topic

My search for a lightweight down jacket is over – the YETI CUT it is!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My search for a lightweight down jacket is over – the YETI CUT it is!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

After researching and trying on many jackets (ie Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer, Arcterx Cerium LT, Marmot Quasar, Montbell UL, Uniqlo) I found the goldilocks of jackets just right for me in terms of warmth, weight, looks, fit, features, and price.

Sold on Sierra Trading Post and with a 35% coupon it can be had for $215. I just wrote the following review which should post in a couple of days after approved. Just wanted BPL members to share in my gear nirvana in case they are currently looking for a lightweight down jacket.

“This is as high quality of a lightweight jacket you can buy. Think the hooded Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer (MHGW) when looking at this jacket. I reached out to Yeti and they said the fabric is 7x10D and fill weight is 90g; same fabric as MHGW which has less down at 79g. In medium MHGW is 7.9 oz and Yeti Cut 8.3 oz, however, besides the additional down it has more/better features including: elastic wrists that actually block out wind, adjustable hood, and zipper draft guard on front and back (vs just back). Both have flimsy zippers that leave what to be desired. In terms of fit, forget STP sizing guide. Go with your usual size (ie M for 38-40 chest). It fits somewhat slimmer than the MHGW but not as slim as Arcterx Cerium LT.”

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I’m still in the boat, been on the search for one to replace my med Rab Alpine Jacket and med Montbell UL Down Inner Parka.  The Rab’s zipper busted and I lost some weight so the Montbell fit is too loose.

Must have a hem drawcord and zip pockets which the Rab lacked and adjustable or elastic cuffs which the Montbell lacked.

So far tried a small 2015 Rab Alpine Jacket.  Revised for 2015, thought they might have changed the fit.  Still has the Euro cut with tight arm pits.  Same with a Montane Featherlite Jacket, not as tight though.  Montane has the same fill weight as the Rab but you can definitely tell there was less down, especially in the arms.

Waiting for my Patagonia UL Hoody to come in.  If that doesn’t fit I’ll give Yeti a look, wasn’t on my radar.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools