Topic

My Scottish Glen Way Adventure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports My Scottish Glen Way Adventure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Moxie
    BPL Member

@moxietosh

Locale: West Coast and East Coast- I say Bi-coastal

My 7 day hike on the Glen Way in Scotland.

This was not my first hike, but it was with the idea of trying to go as light as possible. I replaced a few of my old gear, and added some new pieces with the idea of trying to go light-er. I’m not obsessed with going light, but I am learning some of the benefits since joining BPL.  Some of my decisions based on weight:

1: minimum clothing-I had a layering system to add or take off, but basically I had one set of day clothes and my sleeping clothes. And of course rain jacket and pants..I was in Scotland!

2. I brought my lighter sleeping bag, a down 40 degree marmot bag, but I planned on some layering for sleeping, which I did do-wearing my synthetic fill jacket to sleep, hot water bottle and hand warmers.  I wasn’t freezing but, not toasty either. ‘

3. I carried little water as water is so plentiful in Scotland.

4. I tried use the alcohol stove, not sure if I like it as much as canister.

5. Food was my biggest  issue with weight. I felt that my food choices were the biggest cause of my pack being heavier being heavier than it should have been. So I will think about this for my next trip.

6. The best purchase for this trip was my Nemo tent. I loved the design of the vestibule  and I had plenty of room in side. So easy to pitch and take down.

7. I need some ideas on eliminating all of the little items-ie toilet articles, etc. sunscreen, knife, etc.

8. Scotland is beautiful and so many options of places and skill levels. If you ever have the chance go, I highly recommend it.

Andrew S
    BPL Member

@juggleandhope

thank you for this little report.  what readings/maps did you use to prepare?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Was this the Great Glen Way from Ft William to Inverness (or vice versa)?

Did you spend the night in any bothies or huts?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools