Topic

My new Elemental Horizons Aquilo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My new Elemental Horizons Aquilo

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

<div data-reddit-rtjson=”{"entityMap":{},"blocks":[{"key":"8vlqd","text":"Big shout out to Matthew (the owner) at Elemental Horizons. He is awesome to work with and really takes the time to work through all your questions. I had read good things about his customer service, but it truly is top shelf.","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"drl1i","text":"This was a Christmas present to myself and I am very pleased! Wanted something versatile as I sometimes carry photo gear. I’m a long way from ultralight anyway with a base weight around 15# depending on the trip. Loaded it up with 3 large pillows and some weights to 30# and it feels very good. The hip belt is just as good as everyone says it is and the frame design does a great job of transferring the weight. I should be able to get it out on the trail in a few weeks.","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"eh5mr","text":"This is the Medium pack with a Large size belt…because Dad belly is a thing. As shown, with two belt pockets and the one strap pocket it weighed 47.65 ounces (2.98 pounds). I didn’t weigh it without the pockets.","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"4nq7g","text":"Torso adjustments take a little time, but it’s not hard. The back pad sandwiches the straps and aluminum frame to the back of the pack using a large Velcro surface. It’s has a large amount of Velcro and it’s very strong. Peeling that apart and sliding the strap assembly up and down takes a little patience but then again, I don’t expect to do it often once it’s in the sweet spot.","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"6lt6s","text":"Belt can be swapped out. Tried a medium first and ended up having to have them send a large…for reasons noted above.","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"3gcts","text":"When I was looking around before I purchased, I didn’t see a lot of pictures of the latest version except what is on the Elemental Horizons website. Thought I would share some in case anyone else is browsing for one of these packs. Granted, they probably don’t offer much more insight than the product pics on the website, but nonetheless….","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}},{"key":"7ohq0","text":"","type":"unstyled","inlineStyleRanges":[],"entityRanges":[],"data":{}}]}”>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”9m509-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”9m509-0-0″><span data-offset-key=”9m509-0-0″>Big shout out to Matthew (the owner) at Elemental Horizons. He is awesome to work with and really takes the time to work through all your questions. I had read good things about his customer service, but it truly is top shelf.</span></div>
    <div data-offset-key=”9m509-0-0″></div>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”9m509-0-0″>This was a Christmas present to myself and I am very pleased! Wanted something versatile as I sometimes carry photo gear. I’m a long way from ultralight anyway with a base weight around 15#. Loaded it up with 3 large pillows and some weights to 30# and it feels very good. The hip belt is just as good as everyone says it is and the frame design does a great job of transferring the weight. I should be able to get it out on the trail in a few weeks.</div>
    </div>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”3bp25-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”3bp25-0-0″><span data-offset-key=”3bp25-0-0″>This is the Medium pack with a Large size belt…because Dad belly is a thing. As shown, with two belt pockets and the one strap pocket it weighed 47.65 ounces (2.98 pounds). I didn’t weigh it without the pockets.</span></div>
    <div data-offset-key=”3bp25-0-0″></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”6nb0-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”6nb0-0-0″><span data-offset-key=”6nb0-0-0″>Torso adjustments take a little time, but it’s not hard. The back pad sandwiches the straps and aluminum frame to the back of the pack using a large Velcro surface. It’s has a large amount of Velcro and it’s very strong. Peeling that apart and sliding the strap assembly up and down takes a little patience but then again, I don’t expect to do it often once it’s in the sweet spot.</span></div>
    <div data-offset-key=”6nb0-0-0″></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”dlkhn-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”dlkhn-0-0″><span data-offset-key=”dlkhn-0-0″>Belt can be swapped out. Tried a medium first and ended up having to have them send a large…for reasons noted above.</span></div>
    <div data-offset-key=”dlkhn-0-0″></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”3rvat-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”3rvat-0-0″><span data-offset-key=”3rvat-0-0″>When I was looking around before I purchased, I didn’t see a lot of pictures of the latest version except what is on the Elemental Horizons website. Thought I would share some in case anyone else is browsing for one of these packs. Granted, they probably don’t offer much more insight than the product pics on the website, but nonetheless….</span></div>
    <div data-offset-key=”3rvat-0-0″></div>
    </div>
    <div class=”” data-block=”true” data-editor=”daa73d” data-offset-key=”1e2bv-0-0″>
    <div class=”public-DraftStyleDefault-block public-DraftStyleDefault-ltr” data-offset-key=”1e2bv-0-0″>

</div>
    </div>
    </div>

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

Oh my! Not sure why all the HTML tags ended up in the text. I don’t see an edit button or I’d fix it.

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

Hopefully without the HTML….

Big shout out to Matthew (the owner) at Elemental Horizons. He is awesome to work with and really takes the time to work through all your questions. I had read good things about his customer service, but it truly is top shelf.

This was a Christmas present to myself and I am very pleased! Wanted something versatile as I sometimes carry photo gear. I’m a long way from ultralight anyway with a base weight around 15# depending on the trip. Loaded it up with 3 large pillows and some weights to 30# and it feels very good. The hip belt is just as good as everyone says it is and the frame design does a great job of transferring the weight. I should be able to get it out on the trail in a few weeks.

This is the Medium pack with a Large size belt…because Dad belly is a thing. As shown, with two belt pockets and the one strap pocket it weighed 47.65 ounces (2.98 pounds). I didn’t weigh it without the pockets.

Torso adjustments take a little time, but it’s not hard. The back pad sandwiches the straps and aluminum frame to the back of the pack using a large Velcro surface. It’s has a large amount of Velcro and it’s very strong. Peeling that apart and sliding the strap assembly up and down takes a little patience but then again, I don’t expect to do it often once it’s in the sweet spot.

Belt can be swapped out. Tried a medium first and ended up having to have them send a large…for reasons noted above.

When I was looking around before I purchased, I didn’t see a lot of pictures of the latest version except what is on the Elemental Horizons website. Thought I would share some in case anyone else is browsing for one of these packs. Granted, they probably don’t offer much more insight than the product pics on the website, but nonetheless…

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

Jarred O
    Spectator

@set7-2

Can’t edit first posts.

I’d be interested in reading your impressions of it after you get some trips in with it.

Elemental Horizons certainly makes a good looking pack.

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

Thanks. Inevitably the first one is the one I’ll mess up.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve been using an Aquilo (and a Kalais) for a few years now. A great pack, rides great, transfers weight to the hips quite well, and yes, Matthew is always easy to work with.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nice looking pack and plenty of volume, looks like. Are the compression straps on the side still a very slippery ribbon/grosgrain ? That is the only real complaint I have about my Kalais. They are so thin and slippery that they twist. Other than that I have been happy with my pack.

Here it is on a short trip just over a week ago. I think I had well over 30 lbs ( shhhh) in it. I usually don’t bring a hatchet, an 8x 12 camo tarp, a big round of bread nor a bottle of olive oil ;)

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Kat it looks like Paul had Matthew replace the grosgrain with a heavier webbing and quick release buckles on the compression straps.  I had him do that on my new Kalais and that are perfect now.  I had the same issue with the grosgrain on my old Kalais.  I am still really liking my new Kalais.  Paul you will like your Aquillo too.

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

I didn’t ask Matthew for anything special so maybe he has changed from the grosgrain to the heavier ones as standard. The do look similar to the ones on Alex’s pack.

The lower compression strap on the right side is twisted in the following picture because the buckle is flipped. I couldn’t get it slipped back through to fix it and it doesn’t hurt anything except aesthetics.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

That’s nice to know that the improvement was made!

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Hi Paul. Resurrecting this thread given the most recent review article of the Kalais that was posted. It looks like the photos you posted have had their links broken. Any chance you could reupload?

jason g
    BPL Member

@hookalakupua

Just sent. Thanks

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

Yes. Let me go dig them up and I’ll repost them here.

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

I didn’t renew that domain but they are available under my other one:

http://oldwestracing.com/images_OI/aquilo/

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Thanks for digging them up! How have you liked the pack over the last year and a half. How has the fabric been. Weighing the pros cons of the XT fabrics vs the regular 300/400D nylon.

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

The non-XT fabric is super tough. I guess if you hike around a lot of very rough rocks, the XT might be needed. For me, the regular is holding up great. It’s cheaper and slightly lighter.

The weight carrying and general comfort of this pack far exceeded my expectations. I try to pack light but honestly don’t work too hard at it. First trip I took with it was only about a 8 mile hike in and out. With my brother, his 12yo son, and my 16yo son. I took a little more comfort and was around a 19# base weight. Had to carry our water in so full weight was about 24-25#, but went down as we drank the water. My son had a brand new Osprey Atmos. Because he was 16 and because he is my son, he was stubborn when I was trying to get it adjusted and it ended up being too long in the torso. Long story short, the hip belt put bruises on him and I ended up carrying all the heavy stuff out in my pack. Closer to 30# I’m guessing. There was no different in comfort at 20# and 30#. It was a dream. Could loosen the shoulder straps and it just rode on that nice comfy hip belt. Is really really amazing how balanced it is.

So this is stupid, but I do have one thing I don’t “like”. It looks like a fat chipmunk with his cheeks full of nuts when you fill up the sides. It’s just vanity, but it’s the only semi-negative.

Here we are coming out with all our heavy junk in my pack and the “cheeks” bulging:

But, it was a good trip and a great test of a little extra weight! Typically my load out is 16#-22# just depending on what’s going on.

One the way in for that same trip….

Paul Campbell
    Spectator

@texaswilderness

I’ll also add…in hindsight I probably would buy the Kalais if I were to choose again. I think it’s a little narrower and I could position everything a little better. It would also remove the temptation to put stuff in the extra side pockets, which is convenient, and the pack really carries so well it probably doesn’t matter. The Aquilo will hold a ton of stuff. I may pick up a Kalais some day when I don’t need the big one.

I also have the top “brain” but haven’t used it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools