My multi-use MVP
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:26 pm #3371309Stephen ParksSpectator
I’ve used the humble Reflectix food cozy for so many different purposes.
-Of course, a cozy for rehydrating food
-Sit pad (except while soaking food, sadly – I sit on my trash then or get up and do something)
-Pillow riser – as a side sleeper, I need a higher pillow. I wrap the pillow in a Buff and slip the cozy inside to provide a bit of height
-back pad when using Sea-to-Summit ultralight day pack
-signaling device (kidding)
-I’ve thought of slipping a hot water bottle inside this on nights when I don’t have enough insulation. It might slow the release of heat from the bottle and make the warmth last longer, but haven’t tried this.
-something else I can’t remember at the moment
For the trivial cost and DIY ease, this thing is great. Anyone have any additional uses?Dec 19, 2015 at 6:25 pm #3371337J RBPL Member
From a reflectix-like windshield reflector:
- In addition to rehydrating the food I also use it to keep the food hot and to keep the food from burning my hands.
- I wrap my cup with it to insulate hot drinks.
- The way I use it for insulating my food involves a “disc” of the stuff which I also use as my pot lid (a small rock on top keeps it in place in the wind).
- At night I put my glasses inside one of the reflectix sleeves I use for food insulation, I wear the glasses all day so the reflectix is the only case I need for them at night.
- I made a case/holster for my camera out of the stuff — I like to carry my point-and-shoot in my hip belt pocket for convenience, the reflectix gives enough cushion against minor bumps and also helps keep the large Zpacks hip belt pocket organized.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Our Community Posts are Moderated
Backpacking Light community posts are moderated and here to foster helpful and positive discussions about lightweight backpacking. Please be mindful of our values and boundaries and review our Community Guidelines prior to posting.