Topic

My multi-use MVP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear My multi-use MVP

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

I’ve used the humble Reflectix food cozy for so many different purposes.

-Of course, a cozy for rehydrating food

-Sit pad (except while soaking food, sadly – I sit on my trash then or get up and do something)

-Pillow riser – as a side sleeper, I need a higher pillow.  I wrap the pillow in a Buff and slip the cozy inside to provide a bit of height

-placemat

-writing desk

-back pad when using Sea-to-Summit ultralight day pack

-signaling device (kidding)

-I’ve thought of slipping a hot water bottle inside this on nights when I don’t have enough insulation.  It might slow the release of heat from the bottle and make the warmth last longer, but haven’t tried this.

-something else I can’t remember at the moment

For the trivial cost and DIY ease, this thing is great.  Anyone have any additional uses?

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

From a reflectix-like windshield reflector:

• In addition to rehydrating the food I also use it to keep the food hot and to keep the food from burning my hands.
    • I wrap my cup with it to insulate hot drinks.
    • The way I use it for insulating my food involves a “disc” of the stuff which I also use as my pot lid (a small rock on top keeps it in place in the wind).
    • At night I put my glasses inside one of the reflectix sleeves I use for food insulation, I wear the glasses all day so the reflectix is the only case I need for them at night.
    • I made a case/holster for my camera out of the stuff — I like to carry my point-and-shoot in my hip belt pocket for convenience, the reflectix gives enough cushion against minor bumps and also helps keep the large Zpacks hip belt pocket organized.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools