Topic

My modified inflator for Nemo sleeping pads.. maybe help someone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My modified inflator for Nemo sleeping pads.. maybe help someone?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Sam R
    BPL Member

@riles78

Locale: Northern California

No clue if this “trick” has already been posted a million times before.. but I did this about a year ago and it has worked out very well for me so figured I would post and share.

My only dislike of Nemo and TR pads is the little inflate valve.  I much prefer the S2S and Exped versions where I can attach a nice mutlipurpose inflator bag and blow up my pad with that.

I know BA and a few others make some ok bags that essentially rubberband on to the valve.. but this just works better for me.. and I like the bag sizes available from S2S and Exped better.. they double as my sleeping bag + pad stuff sack and are superb dry bags in my opinion.

So here is what I do:
    Take a S2S or Exped inflator bag
    Take a moto tool w/round stone bit
    Bore out the center of the valve connection on the bag inflator side until it fits the pad valve nice n snug
    DONE!
    It also doesn’t change the usefulness of the original intent because the S2S and Exped pad valves care about the outside diameter.. so it still works for those.. and now it works for Nemo!
    Haven’t tried this with TR pads.. but assume it would work?
    Now since these are not one way valves you have to manage the valve for the final part of the inflate.. but it kills the big part of the job ;-)

Here are the picts

The all powerful Moto Tool

Valve before increasing the ID

Valve opening after

Valve snuggly attached > ready to inflate!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools