Topic

My gear weighs 23,487 grams

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique My gear weighs 23,487 grams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

This weekend, something got cancelled so I thought I’d have time to take a quick two-night hike. Then something else came up so that I had to stay home. In the brief interim between the two, it occurred to me how handy it would be to have a spreadsheet with all my gear so that I could plan a trip in a rush with less worry about either forgetting stuff or walking away with 30 pounds on my back for two nights in warm weather.

Anyway, I finally weighed all my gear and typed it all in to the computer with labels and such. It wasn’t half as bad as I thought.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If your gear weight is 23,487 g you should be happy to be able to walk away with just 30 lbs on your back.

( yes, you meant all of your gear including multiples of. Well, I hope you did…)

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I may have too many backpacks. Also, I didn’t include clothing yet, except outerwear, because weight doesn’t count if you wear it.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Yes, but what is your dry (and final wet) weight?  This is BPL after all.

I’d be very surprised if I didn’t own WAY more than 52 lbs of gear.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

This is BPL after all.

Right. I feel like weighing my gear, after a few years of reading here, means I’ve finally internalized something besides “wet feet aren’t that bad.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools