Topic

My custom pack for backpacking + one bag travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My custom pack for backpacking + one bag travel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Ok, I admit that I’m a bit of a backpack fanatic – I have one for almost every purpose.  But I’ve felt that my primary backpacking pack is a little big for many trips, and that my favorite packs for one bag travel (Tom Bihn Synapse 25 and Tortuga Air) do not do well when the weight is above 12 pounds or so.  Full suspension travel bags are not particularly light or appealing: the 35l Tortuga Outbreaker weighs 4.6 pounds and the Osprey Farpoint 40 and ULA Camino 2 each weigh 3.2 pounds. To my knowledge, no dedicated panel loading travel backpack with hipbelt and suspension weighs less than 3 pounds.  So I decided to get a semi-custom bag that could do double duty for one bag travel.

The idea is that my pack would be primarily for 3-season backpacking and that nothing should be added that would compromise this central purpose. The secondary purpose would be one bag travel where hiking or being ‘on the move’ is an important aspect of the trip.  The bag is not intended for winter trips, family trips, or trips requiring a bear can (I’d still use the ULA Circuit in those circumstances) or hotel-focused and urban travel (in those cases I’d use Tortuga Air or Tom Bihn Synapse 25 depending on how light I am traveling)

I decided to go with a Superior Wilderness Designs Long Haul 40. Here it is…

Specs and rationale:

• Styling: all black – no visible mesh, flashy colors, or technical looking fabrics. Roll top side compression for sleek looks and vertical compression.
    • Fabric: VX-21 fabric for the body and VX-42 fabric for the bottom — water resistant and robust enough for off trail travel, occasional bushwhacking, and the rigors of travel.
    • Size: Main compartment is ~35 liters and carry on compliant (i.e. no more than 22 inches when rolled down). Extension collar is ~5 for a total of 40 liters of internal storage.
    • Frame: aluminum stays (like HMG) rather than fragile carbon fiber loops (like ULA).
    • Pockets:
      • Large front solid-fabric pocket – stuff rain gear, books, or other items needed on the go.
      • Half-depth Lycra mesh pocket entirely inside large front pocket – easy access to small items (sun screen, sunglasses, etc.) even if things are stuffed in front pocket. Lycra mesh is protected from snags.
      • Removable hip belt pockets.
      • Interior webbing loops can accommodate Tom Bihn Laptop cache or small ULA-style inner zippered pocket.
    • Dual-adjust hip belt for comfort.

Compromises:

The pack has a few aspects that are not optimal for one-bag travel. Specifically, it is a top loader, has no zippered pockets (and hence cannot be locked), and is probably a shade too large for trips that do not require much equipment (e.g. European-style trekking). I’m going to try it for both purposes soon and will report back on this thread!

More Pictures:

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

ALERT

ALERT

ALERT

Mismatched zipper pulls

ALERT

ALERT

ALERT

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

It looks really nice. And for sure great to have something that is made according what you want/need. I personally don’t like hipbelts when I’m traveling and would want to go hipbeltless or be able to remove it.

But recently I have just used a small/medium duffle that carries good enough for me, and put my hiking/running pack in there. That works because I don’t have a frame so my rolled up pack is tiny.

For you to have a pack with a strong enough frame to not have to worry about it this looks really great. Also just nice to have a one bag solution obviously.

edit – I guess you can of course also just wrap the hipbelt around the pack and clip it so it is out of the way in the airplane etc. Is that what you normally do?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

If you are onebagging I wouldn’t stress much about not having zips to lock. The bag is far more likely to be with you all the time, won’t be going through baggage handlers ever, etc. If you are worried about leaving valuables in it, eg in a hostel while you are out somewhere, and someone really wants to get in, then a lock on the opening won’t stop them; you need to have it in a locker. Which as a small one bag, is much more likely.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools