Topic

MY CDT 2017 gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists MY CDT 2017 gear list

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Locale: everywhere i guess

https://lighterpack.com/r/a93itj

Hey hotlegs here,

I plan on hiking the CDT this year starting may 1st going nobo. Here is my gear list for the trip. I’m about 6lbs but my phone and charging stuff is kinda heavy and really adds weight. I plan on carrying leys maps, but I don’t know how much I’m going to carry at a time. Food is all no cook, I carried a peanut butter jar for soaking food, in 2014 but i dont think its needed this time around. Synth jacket for hiking in wet weather, I’m really thinking of ditching my umbrella and carrying my melanzana grid fleece in addition to my zpacks jacket. It might be too much bulk for my pack, I’ll have to play around with loading it up. Grace solo works good but site selection is paramount. I sleep cold and the zpacks bag is not the warmest, might buy something else. No “real” first aid kit. Thought you guys might like it. I don’t know if I’ll flip when i get to chama, depends on the snow but I would be willing to carry ice axe/crampons or snowshoes, We’ll see i guess.

Thoughts/comments are welcome.

My 2014 PCT list is here https://lighterpack.com/r/d1s89a

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

Good luck!!! and PM sent

Jay Wilkerson

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I would be cold, and tired from not sleeping due to torsolite + back pain from the pack.

Damn yooose gice!!

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Water can be an issue on the CDT, sources can be unreliable in some locations.  I’d suggest carrying more water, which might mean a larger pack or one with a hip belt.

There are long stretches that are treeless, so finding sticks and trees to set up your shelter may be hard to come buy.

There is also more weather along the CDT than on the PCT; more thunderstorms, wind, potential for snow, etc.  Also consider the elevation(s): a little colder than on the PCT, average, and more exposure to UV rays.  It’s not about packing your fears, but somethings to consider.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Hey friend,

Why the Nunatak bag switch? If you’re in mile crush mode, just remember that the PCT/AT holder Heather Anderson’s baseweight is ~9lbs; so you’re looking good.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Not much on that list to suggest removing or replacing for something lighter!

Apparently you’re doing some serious miles each day to avoid the days x food/day exceeding the capacity of that pack.  A 2.4-ounce silnylon 18-liter day pack can be worn on one’s chest for 2-3 days after a resupply.  Also for water-hauling stretches.  I like the weight being more balanced fore-to-aft over my feet.  Also, with some temporary extra volume, some no-cook foods become viable (crackers, chips) instead of having to buy only the most compact food items.  In my mind, the trick to no-cook is getting some variety, but you’re clearly pretty hard core.

Between the desserts, high elevations, and open meadows, I’d bring the Chrome Dome.  Partly for the UV.  Partly because I feel 10F cooler underneath.  If you average carrying a cup less water because you’re hiking cooler, you’re even.

Remember the peanut-butter jar can’t take hot water.  I know you’re no-cook, but if someone offers you some boiling water, or really hot coffee, you should put it in something else.  Otherwise, it has great capacity, easy to save from with its very wide mouth, and it seals somewhat well for your longest waterless stretches.

I appreciated the humor in your item descriptions.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

And do you charge your devices and batteries in town?  I see energy storage only, no production (e.g. solar panel).  If you made that work on the PCT, great – you’re all set.  But is there any PV set-up that could hang off your pack and charge as you go?  You’re nobo, so you pack is, on average, facing south.

R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Water can be an issue on the CDT, sources can be unreliable in some locations.  I’d suggest carrying more water, which might mean a larger pack or one with a hip belt.

There are long stretches that are treeless, so finding sticks and trees to set up your shelter may be hard to come buy.

There is also more weather along the CDT than on the PCT; more thunderstorms, wind, potential for snow, etc.  Also consider the elevation(s): a little colder than on the PCT, average, and more exposure to UV rays.  It’s not about packing your fears, but somethings to consider.

Hey Sam,

I don’t know if you saw but i had hiked the PCT in 2014, and i made it a deal to not rely on water caches as much as other people (maybe except for the third gate cache, but i was mentally prepared for that one to be empty too.) I carried 4 litres max, and that was enough to get me 35+ miles in 110 degree heat. I also hiked the low to high trail, and became hyponatremic, and actually had to bail out early because i wasn’t able to drink water without throwing up for almost two days in 120+degree heat. I feel like i know my limits and how much water to carry. 4 L works great for me. Lint has hiked the CDT 3 times over and has not used trekking poles with his a-frame shelter, and i asked for his advice about the CDT and like on the PCT you can always adapt and make something work. Just requires some thinking outside the box. I look forward to seeing what the CDT has to offer and I feel comfortable and capable with my gear. I appreciate the input!!

Why the Nunatak bag switch? If you’re in mile crush mode, just remember that the PCT/AT holder Heather Anderson’s baseweight is ~9lbs; so you’re looking good.

Hey dude, The zpacks bag is really nice, but not warm enough. I felt very cold when it got below freezing. My Nunatak is more like a 10degree zpacks bag, and the build quality is fantastic. It’s a little heavier, but really nice.

And do you charge your devices and batteries in town?  I see energy storage only, no production (e.g. solar panel).  If you made that work on the PCT, great – you’re all set.  But is there any PV set-up that could hang off your pack and charge as you go?  You’re nobo, so you pack is, on average, facing south.

I appreciate the nice words! On a side note, I’ve been a backpackinglight member/reader for several years and i always enjoy your posts! I keep my phone on low power mode and it lasts several days just using it for pictures and GPS. The king for battery life was the iphone 4 which i used on my hike in 2014 and i could stretch that thing 6 days. I wish I had waited for the google pixel as that sucker has a great battery life. I saw alot of solar chargers on the PCT but after awhile everybody seemed to hate them, they never worked good after a few months, plus they are pretty heavy. I can charge my phone and battery bank in town for a few hours and just head out and not have to worry about it.

R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Hey Matthew,

I also forgot to add then when i hiked in 2014, i met Heather Anish when she was trying to break the JMT speed record. If you look on her blog, you can actually find her talking about us hiking with her, hah! Anyways i picked her brain for a bit, because she’s an absolute beast, and besides her Zpacks Hexamid she really couldn’t care less about gear. It’s just a means to end, alot of it was gifted to her, and she really just likes getting out there. An amazing woman and inspirational person, I still think about some of things we talked about to this day.

Shewie
    BPL Member

@shewie

Locale: UK

A good looking list, not much fat to be trimmed off there :)

I admire the no cook philosophy and the weight advantages it brings, possibly a step too for for me right now though.

Have a great trip, when do you start?

Aubrey J
    BPL Member

@aub

Richard you have an insane kit! I love it. Hardcore.

The only thing I would consider is around your bag at 24oz. It could be upgraded to something with similar (sparse) features to shave a few oz. These are weights for 950 FP down and a regular length / wide width:

• 20° EE Enigma is 17.63 oz (fill weight 11.78oz for 2.5in of loft) – savings of 6.37oz
    • 10° EE Enigma is 20.18oz (fill weight 14.13oz for 3in of loft) – savings of 3.82oz
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Good luck with your hike.  Embrace the brutality.  BTW, I have Luke’s Ultralight Argon wind pants and I love them.  Having said that, they are really fragile.  I walked a few miles in thick underbrush last fall and they shredded.  I applied a bunch of tenacious tape patches and still use them but I sure wish they were a bit more durable.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Richard, how did you configure your nunatak? Length, width, footbox size, and fabrics? Nunatak makes sure that baffle gets filled. Like Katabatic, if the baffle is well filled, there is no down migration, yes? I think it’s a good call. CDT isn’t the PCT, it can be quite remote.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools