Topic

My 805g SUL 4 season bombproof shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion My 805g SUL 4 season bombproof shelter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Emile V
    BPL Member

@emilev123

It’s a SOL Escape Bivvy under an OR Alpine bivy

The SOL Escape insulates a bit with its reflective coating and breathe very well (0.67cfm) so there is no condensation inside it (plus the fact that I breathe through the face hole also reduces the amount of moisture inside it). If there is some condensation, it is on the Alpine, but not an awful amount. This is still one of the most breathable WPB bivy on the market (next to a bivy made of Event maybe) , but still, in some conditions all bivies have a condensation problem. The condensation then flows and forms a puddle in the Alpine but that water never penetrates the Escape.

I also tried the same system with the 2GoSystems bivy (Sing UL, its like the Trifecta but cannot be opened), it works as well, but the Sing UL is bigger than the SOL Escape so I would only use it if I needed the bigger space for a loftier sleeping bag under it.

This system also allows me to chose a sleeping bag of a lesser weight. (reflective coating + air gap + kind of greenhouse effect from moisture kept inside the system)

I’m not sure if it’s better to put my sleeping pad inside my Escape (or Sing UL) or between the Escape (or Sing UL) and the Alpine for maximum insulation

Emile V
    BPL Member

@emilev123

I’d like to know if you have any idea to make that system better.

Thank you

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, well I think you are moving in the wrong direction. A simple 6×9 tarp weighs about 10oz including a plastic ground cloth. For the 12oz difference between 22oz for the alpine bivy and the 10oz tarp, you could add more down to your bag and not have to worry about condensation inside. I have the SOL Escape bivy and it isn’t quite waterproof nor does it collect a large amount of condensation (it collects some in colder weather,) but it turns any spray/splashback well enough. The 12 oz could be used for a down sweater, also, making it more versatile.

Emile V
    BPL Member

@emilev123

Hi James, I think you are 100% right, thank you for your advice. My problem is I hate sleeping when I think that it’s possible that any insects may get to me so I would have to wear a bug net on top on of the houd of the Escape, but it’s not a big problem. I’d say for most condition bivy under tarp is better but it’s not quite bombproof (or storm proof or winter proof). I think that 99% of people prefer doing what you say, the classical splashproof bivy under tarp (and the Escape is sooo good in that system, free insulation too) but I feel I’m one of the 1% who prefer the extreme simplicity of having nothing to pitch. Also, I really feel that my dual bivy system reduces the condensation in the Escape by increasing the temperature around it. The condensation happens instead outside of the Escape and does not affect my sleeping bag. If I were doing a “normal” backpacking trip with friends, good food and everything, I would prefer a shared tarp over multiple bivies, but for my cold soak/no cook solo only-walk-and-do-nothing-else type of backpacking, I’m very happy with my bizarre system.

Emile V
    BPL Member

@emilev123

I think I would worry more about condensation inside the Escape only than in the Escape + Alpine. Now it really is never a problem no matter much condensation happens, I simply do not worry because it cannot touch my bag

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A bivy is not a shelter, it’s a sleeping bag waterproofing – period.

A tarp is  shelter.

A tent is a shelter.

A lean-to is a shelter.

A cave is a shelter.

A snow cave is a shelter.

An igloo is a shelter.

“Gimme Shelter” anytime.

Emile V
    BPL Member

@emilev123

Eric, well I can’t argue with that logic but it does cover my needs !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools