Topic

Much difference between Peleton 97 and Senchi Design/Timmermade?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Much difference between Peleton 97 and Senchi Design/Timmermade?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am assuming the Peleton 97 and Senchi Designs and Timmermade top are still the ones to get for for a thin warm fleece midlayer, correct?  Is there much difference between them or do they pretty much do the same thing?  Thnak you.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Locale: SoCal

I can’t speak to the Senchi/Timmermade, but have a Peloton 97 and Macpac Nitro Alpha pullover hoodie. They are both around 5 ounces. The Peloton is a microfleece interior with a smooth outer face, the alpha is a lofted mesh construction that is much more airy knit compared to the Peloton. The Macpac is warmer with a windshirt/softshell over top than the Peloton, but wearing alone breeze will cut through the Alpha easier than the Peloton  microfleece. I actually use the Peloton as a next to skin base layer and the Macpac as a mid typically with a light merino blend base. The Peloton 97 is much more stretchy compared to the Macpac, but does not have any elastane content.

Pics

Macpac NitroPeloton 97

Nitro FacePeloton Face/Interior

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thank you.  I think the Senchi/Timmermade would be very similar to the Nitro Alpha and maybe a bit easier to get in the States (and maybe large enough for us sasquatches, same with the RAB Alpha Flash :).

About the Peleton 97, how well does the wind go through that?  I think I will have to order the Kuiu to get a better idea about it.

I have thought about wearing an unshelled Alpha Direct jacket but it is always a little windy around here.  Like all the time.  I think that to take advantage of unshelled Alpha Direct I would really have to be humping it.  I do have an OR Ascendant Hoody. and splitting them up will be 10oz and save some weight.  I am trying to think a time to wear the Alpha Direct unshelled.  When are you usually able to?

Thank you.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Yes, they are all similar Polartec Alpha hoodies, just a few style and feature differences. The others should be easier to get shipped here than the Macpac.

The Peloton is similar to other thin micro fleeces in terms of air permeability. Closest I have that is somewhat similar is Arc’teryx Adahy which is also microfleece with a smooth outer. Pretty breathable, but not like the Alpha.

I typically wear the Macpac Nitro mid with a wind/soft shell (e.g. Alpine Start, Kor Preshell). If it’s dry bit warmer with light wind I might wear the Nitro just with a base. I’ve had times I was wearing initially with shell cool and dry to start, gets warmer and sunny enough to remove shell, changes to cool, drizzly, windy, put shell back on. Nitro as an outer will easily snag if you get into brushy stuff. Best to use it that way only on maintained trail.I also have shelled Alpha Direct (e.g., Marmot 60, Strafe Alpha Direct) and actually tend to wear those more frequently than the Macpac/wind shell combo.

While I use the Peloton as a next to skin layer, no reason you couldn’t use as a mid if sized right. Besides the low weight, the thing that stands out to me about the Peloton is how fast wicking and quick drying the material is. One thing I’ve noted is that the outer is prone to getting small runs in the fabric if you snag it on something like velcro.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thank you.

I am assuming the Arc’teryx Adahy is noticeably thicker than the Peleton 97 correct?  I am using a MH Microchill Lite Hoodie which is comparable to the Adahy I believe.

Yeah, I think I would be wearing the shelled Alpha Direct more now that I think about it.  My OR Nimbus Ascendant is maybe an ounce or two more than some of the lighter weight options but it also has a thicker, more durable and more weather resistant 30d shell and is the Alpha Direct 90 throughout.  I can probably unzip the front and vent when I need to.

Thanks for the info, it is really helping me think through.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I used the Peloton 97 as my next-to-skin layer during a recent 5 day snowshoeing trek and was impressed by its warmth and wicking abilities. Most of the day it was my only layer

Peloton 97

Like Michael, I noticed small runs on the outside at the end of the trek. I’m not sure what caused them. They don’t seem to impact the functionality though.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Yes, Adahy is not as thin as Peloton 97. Part of the weight difference also is Adahy being full zip with two hand warmer pockets and fairly high elastane (16%) content. The Peloton has similar stretch without elastane.

Yeah, you can unzip to vent, my Marmot Alpha 60 also has mesh in the hand pockets so you can also dump some heat that way if needed. It really depends a lot on the particular piece, especially the breathability of the face fabric used. I also have a Nimbus Ascendant. The Pertex microlight face is not nearly as air permeable as the Recon Air on the 90g Alpha Strafe. Microlight, however, would be more wind and weather resistant as you noted. One advantage of the Macpac type hoody is the ability to tune the air permeability by pairing it with different CFM outer shells.

Michael E
    BPL Member

@michael-e

Like Michael, I noticed small runs on the outside at the end of the trek. I’m not sure what caused them. They don’t seem to impact the functionality though.

Yeah, the small runs are cosmetic and have not caused any issues. You would have to look for them to even notice. The outer fabric has a sort of staticky quality to it similar to my Rab Pulse hoody. You’ll notice it if you run a fingernail over compared to a smoother finish fleece like Adahy. It just feels like it wants to snag on any slightly uneven surface. I’ve caught it a few times on a rough fingernail.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Peleton 97 is shockingly warm for it’s weight and thickness. I really like this fleece.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Thank you all.  I am just trying to justify to myself paying $100 for a almost a baselayer fleece that is a bit snaggy on the outside.  But it sounds like a good birthday or christmas present.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Go for it! Gela now wants one as well after having seen me in it during our snowshoeing trip and holding it afterwards in her hand comparing it to my old merino wool Ibex Indie hoodie that weighs twice as much.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“Peleton 97 is shockingly warm for it’s weight and thickness. I really like this fleece.”

Yeah, +1 to that.

I’ve had mine for a couple years now and it’s the first thing I instinctively grab for almost every trip I go on. Its also one of the most comfortable pieces I wear around home during the winter.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Enablers. :)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

So I ordered a Peleton 97 and Senchi Designs Ditect Hoody.  I can see how the Senchi Designs Hoody can be useful as I am mainly wearing a shell.  I know people keep stating the Pleteton is warm but to me is doesn’t seem that warm.  I guess more of a baselayer for winter or something when you are very active. What am I missing?

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

“Peleton 97 is shockingly warm for it’s weight and thickness. I really like this fleece.”

I’m hoping so as well.  Just ordered today since they had ’em for $25 off (non-camo only I believe).  Reports of the material snagging easily are a concern.  For those who have used it extensively, how is it holding up?

Shmedlap
    Spectator

@13th

Snags on everything Brett, but as long as you didn’t buy it to wear at the local disco…..the outer fabric s exactly like women’s sheer stocking fabric. I just ignore the little pulls everywhere. None have become rips. Had it for 3 years odd but paid half what they go for now.

However as it’s made as (and called) a baselayer; to be worn under the protection of other clothes I can’t complain. It’s pretty good.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, it is a nice heavyweight baselayer and the weight is fantastic.  But you are right, $100 is a bit much for it I think (That is what I paid for it).  Yeah.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

I really wanted to buy the Pelaton 97 since it seems like a really good product but have heard that its owners are closely affiliated to a certain political regime (don’t ask… look it up for yourself).  I don’t know if it’s true or if it even is fair to judge but it’s enough to put me off -at least for now.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Thanks for the info guys.  I’ll definitely pass on the disco!  As mentioned above, seems like it would make a good next-to-skin piece for cooler weather and I would be layering over.  What I’ve been using looks like swiss cheese so I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I have the Kuiu mountain zip hoody and the fit is weird. It’s short at the waste for a large. How is the fit on the Peleton 97?

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@brawndo The Peleton 97 has a more athletic fit similar to the newer Patagonia R1. I am 6’2″, 180 and the XL fits good. It would be a little snuggish for 195+.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Just received my XL 97.  I agree with Brad’s assessment regarding size.  I’m 6 ft 190 lbs average build and I wouldn’t want it any smaller.  Should work perfectly next to skin or no more than light shirt underneath.  I find the length at waist to be just right though I wouldn’t want it any shorter either.  Arm length and hood fit are spot on.  5.66 oz for the XL.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Do the Peloton 97 and Montbell Chameece use the same Toray fabric? Montbell no longer states the source. I ask for reference, as I have an older Chameece that is excellent in cool weather. It does well for trail use, but I don’t bushwhack in it. Has been durable with very regular everyday use as well. The Peloton sounds quite similar.

The Macpac Nitro is my  cold southern weather choice as I sweat like crazy. Alpha allows me to manage the evaporation rate without getting chilled by sweat soaked fabric via UL windshell.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

I just had it confirmed: the Peloton uses a different fabric than the Chameece. The Peloton is a bit warmer and has more of a hard face. The Chameece is more like microfiber with a bit of thickness.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

I just had it confirmed: the Peloton uses a different fabric than the Chameece. The Peloton is a bit warmer and has more of a hard face. The Chameece is more like microfiber with a chamois like finish with a bit of thickness.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools