Topic

Mt. Whitney in July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mt. Whitney in July

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I’m planning a trip with 3 coworkers to hike Mt. Whitney in July, from Whitney Portal. We’re going to take it slow and probably make it a 3-day/2-night trip. I’m wondering what folks think the best place(s) to camp are along the way?

Also, I’d like to get some ideas on a “plan b” trip of 3-4 days nearby. Doesn’t have to be a similar trip the Mt. Whitney hike, just has to be within a couple hours drive from WP in case we don’t get permits. We just want to get out and do some hiking for a few days, see some beautiful Sierra Nevada scenery, and have a good time with good company. I think 10mi/day would be a maximum for this group.

Since I’m sure everyone is wondering…No, the other 3 have next to no idea what UL backpacking is :) One is getting a lot of new gear and seems very interested in the concept, the other 2…not so much. All 3 are in good shape and have done plenty of hiking, just not much backpacking, so I think it’s a pretty solid group, but I guess we’ll see!

Thanks in advance for any tips/words of wisdom :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Horseshoe Meadow to Cottonwood Lakes to Mount Langley looks fun. I’ve not done it yet but want to.

It a bit up the road (near Bishop) but Sabrina Basin is fantastic and gorgeous and low mileage. Plenty of lakes to explore. I love the area. The scenery and quality of the trails is top notch.

Piute Pass to Humphreys Basin is another one I want to try but I’ve not visited it.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve already been to the Cottonwood Lakes Area, but don’t think anyone else has so definitely a possibility. Sabrina and Humphreys Basins looks like wonderlands of lakes, and I love lakes :)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would do the mountaineers route.  It is a lot more fun.  Camp your first night at Boy Scout Lake.  It’s a beautiful stop.

Alternatively, on the east side, the lakes of Big Pine Creek are really nice.  You can also explore up around the Palisade Glacier on that trip too.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

I’ve looked at the Mountaineers route briefly and it definitely interests me. I’m not sure if the rest of the group would feel comfortable with it, but I will offer the suggestion. Obviously it is a more technical route, but I don’t really have a good feel for how much more technical. Ice axe/crampons required? Or is it less technical than some quick internet reading has led me to believe?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

yes Horse Shoe Meadow area is nice, but in my opinion only so so relative to other Eastside options.

Big Pine Creek (mentioned earlier) is great. I prefer north fork up to Palisade Glacier, but south fork to Middle Palisades is great too. the issue with these 2 places is you hike to a dead end, so you would make a base camp and explore. no high mileage travel but extremely beautiful.

out of Independence/Onion Valley, up over Kearsarge Pass, and from there 2 or 3 great options.

out of Bishop, up over Bishop Pass, or out of North Lake, actually you could do the loop and catch all of this if you like 55 miles or so of hiking.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did it with 2 friends a couple of summers ago.  No ice axe.  No crampons.  None were needed.  I have read there is one area that can get a little bit of ice.

There is a long walk up steep loose scree and sand but it’s really not technical.  Only the last part is technical at all.  It’s maybe class 3 but I found it to have good ledges and hand holds.  I scooted up it pretty quickly.  And I’m not a climber.  Of my 2 friends, they both did fine.  One got a little spooked in one part but then got along fine.  All of us were really happy to have done this route.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools