Topic

Mt. Marcy and Panther Gorge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mt. Marcy and Panther Gorge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Looking to hike My Marcy via the Elk Lake trail to Panther Gorge, camp there for night then next day hike Mt. Haystack and Marcy then back to camp for night. Has anyone gone this route before? I’m looking to do it late September early October this year. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.. I can email me [email protected] … Joe

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

I did a similar lollipop loop starting at the garden trailhead not to long ago.  I went clockwise hitting Haystack, Panther Gorge, Marcy, and spending the night at Slant Rock before heading out.  It was a rugged but very doable first day with a light pack, August daylight, and good weather.  From what I remember descending into Panther from Haystack was steep and I would have preferred ascending it.  I suggest doing Haystack first especially if the trail is wet.  As a bonus, especially first thing in the morning you have a much better chance of getting Haystack to yourself and it is a great spot.  Have fun and try to go mid week, Marcy will be a zoo as you probably know.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Dirtbag, Well, I went in to Panther Gorge a few times with my daughter and hiking partners. They are all 46ers, now. Anyway, we went in via Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, Skylight to Panther Gorge. Then we did the ascent to Haystack (much easier up than down), over to Marcy and Colden and out. It was a bit rough but we were down to 11 pounds of gear each, food and water and we made it easily. We skipped a couple hills on the way out and did Colden instead…Not sure we saved any time, though, Colden was a bit more rugged. I don’t remember the milage, but we got out something before dark. Coming down Marcy on the Panther Gorge side is not the most pleasant of trails as I remember…fairly steep, and like other trails, very rocky with long drops. Going down the other side is much easier.

This was in July and August. Depending on what we get for weather, September can be a b!tch of a month. There is often snow on many of the peaks and you can usually count on icy rocks on the trails in the mornings. Hiking up Haystack from Panther Gorge could be a matter of waiting till the ice thaws on the flat rock slope. Some sort of removable traction device is highly recommended. In October there WILL be snow and ice almost every morning. Not enough snow yet for snowshoes, too much for just shoes, and patches of icy rocks covered with fresh snow or layers of loose ice, especially before sunshine can hit the rocks, if ever. Freezing rain can build up to an inch or two of ice on the trees and upper trails, you get wet even when the sun is shining. No fires in camp. Not a month I would choose if I had my choice.

Anyway, I understand you have to go when you have the time. Be very careful in October. And do not expect to put in 20mile days in the limited daylight. Check in with the bike shop in town, they keep track of current conditions really well.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Good to know all of that. Thanks so much. Yes, going to aim for early to mid September for this trip as planning on doing a kayak whitewater paddle trip in mid October.. We have all the gear needed for any weather, so naturally we will pack what we will be needing. Do you happen to know the name or phone # or contact info of that bike shop in town? That would be really helpful also as we near the date to go. Thanks..

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

No, I don’t know the number. I think it is the Adirondack Cyclery but I could be mistaken. I just know where it is. He also has an Orvis dealership on the other side.

Yeah, September would be better. Oh yeah, there are no fires up there, so plan on an extra set of long johns or fleece sweater…something that can keep you warm. Bear cans are required now. There is at least one very bold bear accosting people in daylight hours in the Slant Rock area but you won’t be passing through there. I am thinking the DEC will shoot him with rubber bullets again, so he may move, though. So far, he has not been a danger to anyone, just doing it for people food. Look big, Make Noise.

Highly recommended to pack as light as possible. Use a light tarp w/guys for 1-3 people, there won’t be many bugs in September. A light painters drop cloth for ground cloth. Use a light 1/8″ pad, there are plenty of needles at Panther Gorge to scrape up as padding/pillow in an inside-out drybag. 1 set of long johns, 1 20F sleeping bag, down jacket and one pair of socks in a dry bag. Bear canister with 2 days of all dehydrated food. Usually people can go for several weeks without food, but pack enough for trail energy…around 3/4-1 pound per day. You can split this up during the day, one person carries the bear ball, one carries the stove, one carries the tarp, all carry their own food/snacks, etc. 1 Steripen or filter. 1 pot for the group, 1 cup per person. 1 stove for 2-3 people. Fuel for everyone for two days. One cloths line per person. It averages about 10F cooler at Panther Gorge, so you might need a fleece sweater at ~32F. 1 rain jacket per person. You might need all your cloths on except when sleeping, especially in the mornings. There isn’t a lot of sunshine till around 1100 or so. I would ignore the lean-to. It doesn’t do much without a fire and the floor will be hard to sleep on. If it is raining, it will likely have it’s fill of people. All together you should be at about 10 pounds per person with 3. About 11 pounds with two…damn bear balls. Have Fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools