Topic

MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Lightning Ascent Snowshoes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Lane
    BPL Member

@kevinlane

Looking to buy a pair of 25″ lightning ascent snowshoes and have some questions

1.  Were any significant changes made to these in 2017?
    2. Any idea of when these things go to a winter closeout sale/
    3. Do the “tails” work on these babies/

Thanks

Paddy

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo
    1. No
    2. Usually later in spring… its just getting into “snowshoe season”
    3. Yes.  However it depends on snow conditions to if you’ll need them.  I have some 25″s, I’m 180lbs and in the PNW (hard snow) I *almost* never need the tails (I dont actually own them, as my shop rents them) but the do provide some additional float and are very light if you dont end up using them.
    Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

1) Don’t know.

2) IME, don’t expect closeout sales to be very big.  10%, maybe.

3) I’m 210 plus gear and have never used the tails (though I have them) on my 25″ Lightning Ascents.  Needed them once or twice.  Don’t see why they wouldn’t help.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I’ve used the tails on mine when there’s fresh snow and they help. I much prefer not using them if I can because it’s easier to stride.

I usually don’t like modular systems but in this case I find it to be a good idea. the tails attach rock solid.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

These are great snowshoes.  I work at REI, and only very rarely do we see returns on these for any reason.   The tails work well.  It is a pretty ingenious design.

Everything always goes on sale if you can wait long enough, but you have to balance that out against your choices of size and color not being available.  As already mentioned, it is a bit early in the season to start seeing discounts.  When MSR snowshoes do get discounted, it is generally in the range of 20-25% off.  At the least, you can take 20% off in Feb or March when REI issues discount coupons to co-op members, if you are a member.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have Gen. 1 Lightning Ascents and the add-on tails (after doing some modding to the ‘shoes).

They are fine as far as snowshoes go but I FAR prefer backcountry skis and climbing skins. Much easier and faster travel.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“They are fine as far as snowshoes go but I FAR prefer backcountry skis and climbing skins. Much easier and faster travel.”

True, mostly. If I want to go on a steepish, narrow, forested trail in icy or ruttted snow–my skiing skills aren’t that good. But then, I’d probably plan a different route and use skis! They are more enjoyable.

The folks over on the Yosemitenews.info site, who are truly skilled and out all the time in winter, choose snowshoes however.

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

I’m sure it depends on snow conditions, but I can’t say I can tell the difference between tails on/tails off, except perhaps the weight. If you stumble across some cheap tails (I’ve bought quite a few) there is no reason not to get them, but I wouldn’t bother otherwise.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools