Topic

MSR Front Range shelter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Front Range shelter

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Hmm I’m just wondering why somebody thought my reply was inappropriate??
    Just some feedback on the older style aluminium pole that came with my own Megamid. The last section can and has snapped twice on mine at the junction.
    Both times when the tent got hit by a strong downdraft or microburst.
    I’d hope that the CF pole supplied with the silnylon version would be stronger but at the stated size I have doubts

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ probably that naked lady pic you tried to sneak in there :)

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Thanks @mtwarden, helpful info. Looks like I missed chance to snag one on sale but will keep eye out.

On a separate note, weren’t you looking for a winter day pack? Probably found one, but if not, I meant to suggest you take a look at the Osprey Mutant 38. Light, versatile. Much less featured, and thus less weight than most Osprey stuff.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the few places that I saw them on sale are out of stock :(

on the pack front- I ordered a Osprey Kestrel 38, it’s still has the tags on it- I’m waiting for a hunting pack to come in and compare- it’s a Stone Glacier bag that can be run on my hunting frame, but they redesigned this pack to be able to be run on it’s own too- removable shoulder straps and waist belt.  It has it’s own frame (not intended for heavy loads) so want to compare it to the Kestrel; if it can work as both a hunting pack and snowshoe/ski pack would simplify my life a little :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well thanks to the skills of Dave C, I have the stove jack in the nick of time for this hunting season :)

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Classy

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice. What stove is that?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan- it’s SO’s new “U-turn”stove (medium)- 31 oz with the pipe

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This has been a very fun thread to follow and to watch the progress in the project.

If folks are searching for the green MSR Front Range, I have had success ordering gear from the UK vendor Ultralight Outdoor Gear with shipping at reasonable costs. 250 English pounds for the tarp.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/tarps-c43

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

funny they (MSR) doesn’t sell that color here????

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

My guess is that they ship directly from the offshore factory to the UK.

Years ago when I first started shopping from Ultralight Gear I noticed that a couple of US based companies had UK- or Europe- focused products for sale that were not available in the USA. I think it was MSR that even had a tunnel tent available….

The corporate explanation would probably go like this, we have no demand for it in the USA. But when a company does not offer the option, it follows logically that there will be no demand for that option.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ true- it’s like when LaSportiva discontinued the Akasha trail shoe, widely popular here as far as I could tell based on the numerous good reviews, seeing them well represented at races, etc

Then I find out not discontinued, only discontinued in the US- wtf?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools