Topic

MSR Access 1 tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking MSR Access 1 tent

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Does anyone have experience with this tent? Thoughts? It seems to check off a lot of boxes for me.

-freestanding

-vestibule

-light-ish at 3lbs. I’d use grocery bag deadman anchors and 1 myog stuff sack.

-double walled

-designed for snow shoe/ski touring type of trips as opposed to high alpine mountaineering trips.

I’m new to winter camping and so far have been happy with most of my systems (sleep, cook, clothing…) in terms of weight and performance but looking at tents. I’ve used my Locus Gear mid. I’ve used it in mild weather in the mid teens. I feel confident in roughing out some tough weather with it but maybe not be in comfort. My concerns with my mid are:

-not freestanding. The center pole (trekking pole) sank in the middle of the night causing the mid to sag significantly. I’m assuming this is from my body heat melting the snow. Staked out corners were fine.

-spindrift even when pitched close to the ground. I thought of building berms around the perimeter and I’ve seen some pictures of others doing this so I assume it’s at least partially effective.

-no vestibule which would allow snow in while entering/exiting if it’s snowing.  No bad weather cook area.

I’m listing these in case I’m missing something or doing things poorly.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Dan,

he Access 1 looks very storm-worthy but its 15 oz. heavier than my Tarptent Moment DW.

Depends on how windy and snowy it will be where you want to go. The Access 1 has a nice vestibule, BTW.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

the MSR Access tents are legit. i am about to get the 2 person to replace my TNF Mountain 25 (mountaineering tent) after testing it for a few days. 1/2 the weight, easier setup, and pretty close to the performance. definitely capable of winter and mountain stuff…all but the worst weather. maybe need to be a little choosier with camp sites.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools