Topic

MSR Access 1 tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Access 1 tent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I posted this in the Winter Hiking forum originally but the forum sees little traffic. Mods, feel free to delete if necessary.

—————————————————-

Does anyone have experience with this tent? Thoughts? It seems to check off a lot of boxes for me.

-freestanding

-vestibule

-light-ish at 3lbs. I’d use grocery bag deadman anchors and 1 myog stuff sack.

-double walled

-designed for snow shoe/ski touring type of trips as opposed to high alpine mountaineering trips.

I’m new to winter camping and so far have been happy with most of my systems (sleep, cook, clothing…) in terms of weight and performance but looking at tents. I’ve used my Locus Gear mid. I’ve used it in mild weather in the mid teens. I feel confident in roughing out some tough weather with it but maybe not be in comfort. My concerns with my mid are:

-not freestanding. The center pole (trekking pole) sank in the middle of the night causing the mid to sag significantly. I’m assuming this is from my body heat melting the snow. Staked out corners were fine.

-spindrift even when pitched close to the ground. I thought of building berms around the perimeter and I’ve seen some pictures of others doing this so I assume it’s at least partially effective.

-no vestibule which would allow snow in while entering/exiting if it’s snowing. No bad weather cook area.

I’m listing these in case I’m missing something or doing things poorly.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I use the last generation of MSR Hubba HP, which the tent you’re considering is a direct descendant of, and is essentially the same tent, though the Access has an additional pole. I absolutely love the MSR HUBBA HP! I don’t use it for summer backpacking any longer (I use a Nemo Hornet 1P), but I do use it for late season backpacking and my fall backpack-elk-hunt. It handles severe weather like a champ, and has held up well in high wind, rain and snow above timebrline. I think I can say your Access 1P will do all that and more. The access 1P is also 7″ wider than my HP, though I love the dimensions of my Hubba HP. My advice, go for it. I’d happily use my HP in any winter conditions. Google “Hubba HP” and read the reviews… it will give you a good idea of what to expect with the larger, stronger Access 1P.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m also a devoted user and fan of the Hubba, though I don’t have the HP.  But based on years in a Hubba, the Access looks great; I’d be all over it based on what I’m seeing of the specs if I needed a 1 man winter tent right now.  I’ve had the Hubba in some pretty horrendous conditions and wind; the extra pole of the Access looks like it would be pretty bomber.  I’ve wanted a solid interior for my Hubba for years; mainly for desert camping and blown sand.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Interesting review of the Access series (as well as more MSR tents) in OutsideOnline. They weren’t fans.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Doug,

i read that review a few days ago too. They were above the tree line and in a very exposed area which is what I’m not looking to do for my winter hiking. It did make it through the night still standing so if my winter hiking goals change I think it would still be fine even if I ended up being a little uncomfortable.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Don,

Sounds like it could work well for you then. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts if you get it.

BTW, for your mid, i used to bring a small disc with me when winter camping with my mid to prevent the center pole from sinking, FWIW.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Doug,

I think for late shoulder season I’d still take my mid in mild weather for the huge weight savings. That’s a great idea about the disk. If there is snow and I brought a snow claw I could it.

I will probably get the MSR tent in the fall when REI sends their 2nd 20% off coupon. Plus, there will hopefully be some more reviews.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So I read this review the other day, and I am interested in this tent as well.  (well the 2p) I just built one at my work and I dont necessarily trust the review.

First, a guy line broke?  The line?  Line is strong… annnd if the line broke and the tent didn’t break, then the tent seems strong to me.

Guy points too high:  The ones on the end are like a foot off of the ground, so he must be talking about the one over the doors.  I could see what he may be talking about because you can deflect the vestibule panels, but not too bad.  The vertical pole holds it pretty well.  I could see the bottom of the pole sinking in the snow, so the tautness goes away and its could get flappy?  Other than this they seemed to be in reasonable places.

All this is my observation.  I have not even put the thing in dirt, and they camped on Baker with it.

IDK man… I’m still interested in the thing.

edit: and maybe double stake the vestibule point?  Use a trekking pole?  There are ways to better secure the tent that I think they didnt do.  Maybe they did?

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

The thing that they didn’t mention is that this tent is not designed for the way they used it (above tree line, exposed). From what I understood, it held up but was leaning over and made for an uncomfortable night. In my book, that’s pretty good for me. It’s designed for what I have in mind but sounds like it will still shelter you well enough during the occasional extreme situations. Maybe I misunderstood the review but that’s how I interpreted it.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Yeah, I believe they may have pushed it to the edge of its design, but I also think there may have been a bit of operator… ummm… negligence?  The SD Tensegrity wind tunnel tested to 40 something, I bet this could do a bit better if they wanted it too. (the reviewers)

Outside mag should send me the one they tested… they obviously don’t like it.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Old thread, but I now own one :)  We had a very early blast of Winter in October- cold & snow, so took the opportunity to give the tent a whirl (as well as a new sleeping bag).

Pretty easy and quick to setup, I only practiced once in my backyard and it went smooth in the field.  I staked out 8 on the bottom and four guys up higher, turns out I didn’t them as there wasn’t a lot of wind (15-20 mph gusts tops).  There also wasn’t much additional snow the night I was out (almost 2′ 24 hours later!), so can’t comment on snow loading other than the frame looks well designed and should handle a decent amount of loading.  What snow I did get (maybe 2″) slid off on it’s own.

While certainly not cavernous, I found it plenty comfortable for one (5’11”, 180 lbs).  It’s uniform in it’s floor dimensions so you can swap ends if you miscalculate any sloping.  The vestibule is sufficient size to store a pack; I did cook in it (vestibule) as well, but I did slide part of the pack out of the way.

The tent itself (with included guy lines) is 2 lbs 11 oz, the stuff sack I left home- it’s fairly porky at 3.8 oz.  It includes 6 Groundhog stakes, nice stakes, but nothing I’m going to use in winter.  I used a combination of MSR Blizzard stakes and Dutchware ti snow stakes, both are right at 1 oz each.

Anyways, thus far I like it and will certainly get a bunch more use out of it as it appears it’s going to be a very long Winter (er Fall). :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It’s pretty much official- you own all the gear I want Mike. ; )

I’m in love with my green MSR Hubba 1, essentially the same tent. I’ve wanted the Access for some time now…But I just don’t play in the snow as much as you do so it hasn’t happened yet…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

:)

I’m sure the Hubba is the same, but iI thought it kind of funny when I saw pics of the frame/poles figuring they would come in a couple of different sections, nope just one- assembly was almost magical, stuff snapping into place all over the joint and voila- frame ready to go!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I want this also. Keep eyeballing it for some time now. I do have a Black Diamond Bible E tent which is totally bomber.. But TBE weight of the access is kind of sexy for winter tent!! Please keep us updated, and if you have any more pictures I would love to see them. Thanks..

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I had (and recently sold) a BD Firstlight- pretty bomber (had it hold up through a couple of very rough storms), plenty of room for one (but definitely not a 2 person tent imo), easy to setup and relatively light.  If you added the optional vestibule though, the weight really increased and while I didn’t have a ton of trouble w/ condensation, I did have some.

So when I saw the Access with a vestibule, double walled and lightweight- figured I better give it a go :)

These are from the backyard (before our foot of snow!! :) )

side ventilation via a small wand

interior with a Xtherm regular

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Very cool.. I love it. Definitely keep us updated as you use it if you don’t mind.. Thanks

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I think it’s a solid little design if you get over the initial weight weenie shock that many ULers have…I would imagine it makes up for it in function. I’ve had my Hubba in some pretty horrendous wind and rain and while it’s certainly small inside, it’s always proved to be quite bomber with none of the fiddle factor that is so common in lighter shelters. Based on that familiarity this would be a top choice for me for a winter tent.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Even in winter with the extra weight, I think I’d go with a 2-person shelter. I just really like my room. I’ve been looking at a Copper Spur HV2 Expedition. Looks like a sweet shelter, and is cheaper than the MSR 2-person by around $100. If I finally get back into winter camping, I’d probably go with it.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

If you are over 6ft tall and weigh more than 220# then most 2P tents aren’t realistically sized for winter and I really need the extra shoulder room of the 2P tent.
    I’m 1840mm tall and 95 kilos fighting weight and I don’t consider myself a big bloke and I really struggle with gear and clothing sizes.
    I don’t think I could squeeze into the Access solo

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Understandable for sure. I myself, personally am just fine sleeping in a bivy. I have riden out a nasty winter storm in my Borah Gear Snowy side bivy, and I have  spent many other  nights in my Brsitlecone bivy and bug bivies. So anything One step up in size from a bivy is like moving from a small studio apartment to a spacious 1 bedroom apartment. I definitely would not want to spend multiple days/nights in a winter storm in a bivy, that’s a no brainer.. But a 1 person tent??  Well honestly, I feel like Annie when she first moved into daddy Warbucks mansion!!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

The Access 1 is definitely not overly roomy, but the shelter I use most the rest of the year is the Aeon Li, so I guess I’m getting used to it :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Mike M.. The MSR blizzard stakes and Dutchware snow stakes you use? I’m guessing you have used them before and have experience with them in snow/wind? How do you use them? Like regular stakes or deadman? Are they easily pulled out of snow/ICE? Do they freeze in the ground?

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The Access1 is palatial compared to its predecessor which I use, the  Hubba HP. I’ve never had an issue with the Hubba’s size, but I actually like sleeping in a mummy bag. Chalk that up to 45 years of backpacking :)

I’d love to find the Access1 in the European Green configuration. I may just order one from the UK.

My fellow Montanan Mike M and I track pretty closely in our tastes in shelters. I too used the BD Firstlight for quite a few years for solo fall/winter use. It’s a really solid design, but I prefer a side entry with a vestibule, hence my move to the Hubba HP.

The Access1 is everything the Hubba HP is and more…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Stakes are generally just pushed into the snow- I’ll take my snowshoes (or skis) and stop an area out (larger than the shelter)- leave it about 30 minutes (if I have that luxury) so the snow firms up and then stake out the shelter.  I’ll often kick a little extra snow over the stakes and stomp it in some.

I have used the Blizzard stakes as deadman’s before if for some reason the snow isn’t deep enough- I have the guys go through a couple of the holes so it forms a V, dig a trench, lay the stake in on their sides, bury with snow and stomp.

Once in a great while I’ll have a stubborn Blizzard stake, but it’s pretty rare.  I’ve only used the ti stakes a couple of times, but thus far no issues with them.

I agree with Brad that the Firstlight is a very solid shelter and never failed me, but I think the Access is going to be even more to my liking :)

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I use the blizzard stakes for my pyramid tarps in winter/snow after I first stomp away a nice pad with my snowshoes, skis, and/or shovel. I like them a lot! I generally will use them as normal stakes inserting them into the snow and then i’ll pile a bunch of snow on top and pound down with my shovel once I have the tarp nice and taught. This way, even if the stake doesn’t penetrate well enough, it is still being used as a deadman with all the snow on top. This usually results in a pretty sturdy stake out point. (Effort may vary depending on type of snow and tools available)

In the morning I simply shovel the pile of snow away. The stakes slide right out of the snow due to the smooth aluminum. Sometimes a slight nudge of the stake (once visible or accidently while digging it out) is required to loosen things up. This is usually in temperatures below 20*. In conclusion, I really like these stakes and don’t mind the extra weight. I would recommend them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools