Topic

Moving Garmin Maps to new Mac computer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Moving Garmin Maps to new Mac computer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

I just purchased a new Mac computer and decided to do a clean install rather than using Migration Assistant. I have had Garmin Base Camp on my Macs for years and have many maps installed. Some are very old Garmin maps, and others are from various free sources. I am not having any luck getting these to work on the new computer. I first tried copying the maps from the old location to the same path on the new computer, but Base Camp did not recognize them. I also tried using Map Installer. For free maps this works to copy the maps into the directory there Base Camp looks for maps but when I start Base Camp I get the error “Bad map installation”. Internet searches are not revealing a solution to this problem. Can anyone help?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Have you tried doing a back up of Base Camp on the old computer, copying it to a USB drive and using that to do a restore to Base Camp on the new computer?

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

The backup function in Base Camp does not save the maps.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I’ve seen Javawa GMTK recommended elsewhere, though I haven’t used it myself.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

NVM, I’m obviously not reading things very closely.

“I’ve seen Javawa GMTK recommended elsewhere, though I haven’t used it myself.”

Unfortunately that program won’t work on new Macs as it’s a 32-bit program and new Macs will only run 64-bit programs.

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

Javawa GMTK would be perfect. I remember using this in the past. Unfortunately it has not been supported for a long time, and will not run on my old or new computer.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Do you have an Apple Time Machine image from the old machine? You could copy the specific folders or files to the new machine.  If you still have the old machine, you can select to migrate data only or apps only. I don’t recall if you can select specific apps or specific files.

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

Unfortunately, Apple’s Migration Assistant doesn’t allow you to pick individual applications to move.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Have you tried calling Garmin???

I’m always amazed that questions show up here before actually contacting the ones who would know… :)

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

Call Garmin for help adding third party maps. You’re joking.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

No… not joking…

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

I am still unable to move my old maps but I have installed one map from the internet. I will probably just renew my subscription to https://openmtbmap.org/#gsc.tab=0 and get up to date maps.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Jeff Burns
    BPL Member

@ad9t

The export option dose not include maps.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools