Topic

Moving a map from Garmin Basecamp to iPhone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Moving a map from Garmin Basecamp to iPhone?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

There’s a particularly good map of the pyrenees (http://topopirineos.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/topo-pirineos-80.html).

However it is designed/built for Garmin Basecamp. You download the .exe and it installs a bunch of disc image files to the basecamp directory. These aren’t mapping files i’ve really played with before (normally I’ve had kml files), so i don’t know how to turn the data into something I could see on my iPhone with a viable app.

Anyone with more skills and knowledge than me have any insight? I’d also love to be able to move the source to a different piece of software/app that had better printing controls than Basecamp which are frankly.. awful.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

As far as I know it’s possible to install .gmap files / OSM-maps on Android-phones, but not on iPhones.

That was two years ago though, but I’m sure Apple hasn’t changed it’s policy on the matter.

On the printing matter: yes, Basecamp is awful at it but once again, I’m not aware of other software that supports these kind of maps on a desktop.

Basecamp has it’s pro’s but to be honest it has a lot more potential. Garmin just doesn’t invest enough resources in it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve never used Basecamp, but the online Basecamp manual says you can export data from Basecamp, and gpx, kml and kmz seem to be supported file types.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Yeah Arne, it seems Android has much better options for mapping if you want more than the generic options. Alas inherited an iPhone as my Android was dying, so.. maybe whenever I have to buy a new phone (in a few years) I can make a more backpacking conscious decision.

Agree re: basecamp. It’s a shame, as it seems to have the basics of a really powerful software. But it destroys my (not terribly specced) computer and is generally a pain to use. It seems that it’s really not Garmin’s focus, with infrequent updates, pulling of the mobile app etc.

@Greg
    : Yeah, but that’s just of track data/waypoints in those files sadly. KMLs (and others I think) can contain tiles, but not with the basecamps export (unless there is some way I don’t know about).

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Look around, there are many GAIA type apps that can download maps, and they vary by country. GAIA works just fine, but you may not like its map selection. Iphigenie will probably take care of you well as you as it can download the beautiful French NGI maps, and it has a cool 3D function. Just make sure you download the maps in advance.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Yeah I have Iphigenie, and I do love those French maps:) They are considerably less detailed on the Spanish side of the border unfortunately. They were ok enough last time I crossed the border briefly, but didn’t love it. Gaia also uses the IGN maps, albeit as part of their premium plan.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools