Topic

Mountaineering (?) boots for wide feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountaineering (?) boots for wide feet

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I have a wide foot with an almost completely square toes. This makes finding a well fitting shoe hard, a well-fitting boot harder, and a well fitting mountaineering boot damn near impossible. All of them have tapering toe boxes, usually pretty narrow. Most of them have inflexible rubber mud guards around the side to protect the upper. This tends to squish either my toes or an area behind my toes which makes it quite uncomfortable. I’ve attached a picture of my foot with this area circled. It is airbrushed because people are grossed out by feet for some reason.

This is what I’d be using the boots for
    1) Spring and winter snow scrambling. Think steep slopes and an ice axe. This may require hiking in boots alone, crampons, or snowshoes depending on conditions
    2) Multi-day winter backpacking trips (+/- snowshoes / crampons) which may involve some mountaineering. Temperatures would be 5 F at lowest, probably around 15-25 F at night.

I’ve tried on pretty much every boot in REI with no luck. I’m not sure that heavy backpacking boots like the Asolo TPS 520 are sufficient boot. Someone suggested hunting or forestry boots?

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

Asolo TPS 520 are sufficient boot

This is a great boot and is totally fine for class 2-3-4 mountaineering. I used to be able to climb pretty well in these boots like 5.low. Used them for canyoneering as well. Snow climbing and crampons (universal) are fine too. The boots are heavy enough for a good kick in snow and sturdy enough to isolate feet from the impact. Once the “shine” on the leather wears off you’ll need to waterproof the them to hold all day in slushy snow.

These days I would not go heavier than these boots for any realistic use (these very boots, I wore down 2 pairs).

My only issue is that the last pair had a sole detaching, I was an idiot and instead of requesting a warranty repair threw them into trash :(

Can’t bring myself to buy a new pair: expensive and my use of heavy boot shrunk too much in favor of trail runners.

The only use I can think of of a heavier boot is climbing ice. That’s were plastic boots shine. I was hoping to use my Dynafit ski boots for ice, but they are too delicate really.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The closest I have been able to find are the asolo mountaineering boots. REI used to carry them, but now they are hard to find. Still not wide, bit wider than la sportiva and scarpa.

Did you try the Lowa ones that REI sometimes carries?

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

AKU’s mountaineering boots have wider toeboxes.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m gonna watch this thread, too.

My son Chase has super wide feet (born and raised in Altra’s, ugh – bad decision? Spread toes…) and we are really struggling to find backcountry ski boots (double boots with plastic shells, AT / dynafit style) that fit him.

We’re looking @ arc’teryx’ new line which promise to be “wide” but I’m not sure enough yet.

His alpine climbing boots (currently, Salewa) are bad, too – narrow!

We don’t need intense technical stuff, just COMFORTABLE for all-day, multi-day travel…

I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with.

Steve Cockburn
    BPL Member

@sgc590

Hi, over the past several years, my foot has changed shape and widened and I have been getting severe pain in the exact midfoot area you have circled. I thought I had developed some sort of spur but my podiatrist said it was a nerve irritation due to my wide foot. I then went on the hunt for a wide boot and came across the Lowa Renegade. Lowa Renegade GTX MID WIDE . The link below is where I purchased this and whilst quite expensive, these are the only boots I can now wear without significant pain. For what it’s worth. Hope this helps. I see Jeff Jeff has also identified but what I found, you need to specify the wide version. Regards

https://www.k2.com.au/lowa-renegade-gtx-mid-wide.html

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

My son Chase has super wide feet (born and raised in Altra’s, ugh – bad decision? Spread toes…) and we are really struggling to find backcountry ski boots (double boots with plastic shells, AT / dynafit style) that fit him.

I generally assume that my feet are wide. I wear wide sizes in my running shoes and hikers or size up to be comfortable. Last year I got Dynafit TLT7 boots (Performance to be exact) and have been very happy in these boots. I sized up 1/2 or 1 size versus the official Mondo measurement. After the liner molded itself, in fact I have too much width, it seems. I have skinned for miles and never got even a hint of a hot spot or a blister. About 1 kilo per foot, very light. Truly amazing gear.

Try it, what if it works. A word of warning: the soles are super delicate. Any rocks rip the rubber into shreds.

For Arc’teryx ski boots, you have to take a mortgage, right? :)

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

With regard to the Asolo TPS 520s, I was told numerous times by others in a club I belong to (perhaps incorrectly) that using a boot which can flex significantly in the toe box is not a good mountaineering boot. Maybe that’s an outdated view, but it seems like the major manufacturers all use very stiff soles.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

With regard to the Asolo TPS 520s, I was told numerous times by others in a club I belong to (perhaps incorrectly) that using a boot which can flex significantly in the toe box is not a good mountaineering boot.

Well, some flexibility helps a lot when climbing or scrambling :)

I think the rigid boots are required for automatic crampons, which Asolo boots are not compatible with anyway.

What you described (light duty mountaineering) should be fine in universal crampons, like UL aluminum Camp ones (or steel BD for durability). These work fine with the Asolo boots. Same boots would work year round for scrambles in RMNP, for instance.

BTW, there’s a whole class of very similar “backpacking” leather boots from Asolo, Lowa, Scarpa, etc. They will all work about the same. There are models that are a bit stiffer and heavier than Asolo, some compatible with semi-auto crampons. This is “backpackinglight”, so I’d go for lightweight :)

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I have 4 EE width feet and have been using various iterations of Meindl boots (wide 2EE)  with great success and comfort for over 25 years. Have a look at these crampon compatible ones…

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alaska-Hunter-Boots-by-Meindl/1995551.uts?slotId=2

Some of the Lowa wides may work for you  as others may suggest. I tried them and they did not work for “my” feet.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@mwagon

Look into Munson and Redwing #8 lasts, in a custom made boot. My feet are US 8 1/2 EEEE. Not mountaineering boots but most comfortable hiking boot of mine is a pair of http://www.russellmoccasin.com/minimalist-footwear-custom-made/ 

5 inch height and all leather. Russell does make to order with loads of options and combinations.

Heavy pair I own are a set of custom http://www.russellmoccasin.com/hiker/

Best luck in your search, I understand the problem well. KM

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

I am a woman and I have exactly the same issue + high arches. And, my toenails are sticking up, so it makes it really painful to wear shoes with hard toe boxes. Not surprisingly, most shoe brands don’t fit me. Generally, I found the wide feet friendly (and comfortable) brands are:

-Trail runners: Topo, Altra, Salomon, some Nike models

-Mountaineering/more technical terrain: Scarpa, Salomon

The biggest problem that I end up ordering a few models/sizes, then try them on, then ship them back if necessary. A hassle!

Good luck!

Elena Lee
    BPL Member

@lenchik101

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)

Also, a stiff and waterproof “backpacking boot” will do. I have climbed volcanoes in the Pacific Northwest in this type of boot, with crampons. It looks very similar to mountaineering boot, except it’s not labeled as “mountaineering”, is seriously cheaper, and more lightweight. Just look for sole stiffness, pro type of footbed (I believe it’s layered for maximum protection) and overall toe area protection.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I figured I’d give an update on this, because I have finally found mountaineering boots that I like. Hat tip to Ross above, because he pointed me in the direction of Meindl. I ended up buying the Meindl Denali in size EE online. These are similar to the Alaskan Hunter boots linked above, but they don’t have the insulation.

They are phenomenal. They are super roomy, and they have a super stiff sole, a rubber rand running around them, and rear crampon welt. They are all leather with a Goretex lining. The run $300, which is reasonably priced. For some reason, they are only sold by Cabelas and marketed as a hunting boot.

My only complaint is that they have a high top which makes flat footing a bit awkward. Still, they are great boots.

Amae K
    BPL Member

@amae_mhc

Live in Altras. Going through the boxy wide foot mountaineering boot struggle.  Has anyone tried Salewa?  Their boots seem to come in wide. https://www.salewa.com/en-us

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

My last pair of mountaineering boots (about 8 years ago) was a pair of leather Scarpas I found used, which seemed to run the widest at the time based on the info I could find. I have 4e feet. I purchased a “professional boot stretcher” (easy to find on amazon) and was able, with patience, to stretch it to my foot width and specific foot shape. Paired with RBH vapor barrier socks, I found them perfect in Maine and NH ice climbing conditions. My advice is to find a wide-ish boot and stretch it yourself for the best results. Good luck!

Logan

Amae K
    BPL Member

@amae_mhc

Thank you so much for the advice! :-)  I will check out a stretcher.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Zamberlan 1005 “hunting” boots (no crampon welt but they are decently wide and you can remove the insole if you need more volume). Very durable, very warm, very high quality. Reasonably light for what they are.

Shoe stretcher is also awesome for especially stretching leather footwear. I have the targeted type (the ball and eyelet sort of deal) and the one that looks sort of like a shoe tree. Most cobblers will also have these!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools