Topic

Most breathable mvtr wind shirt with a low cfm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Most breathable mvtr wind shirt with a low cfm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Hi there,

What wind shirt would have the highest mvtr and breathability in combination with a low cfm?

High cfm shirts are only good in summer for me.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Take a look at the OR Helium Wind Hoody.  MVTR: 3360, HH 405 (pretty good for a windshirt, but not waterproof, of course) Air permeability 1.6.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

Thx Stephen. And what about the Black Diamond Alpine Start 2021?

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Don’t know about 2021.  I did a series of different years a few years back.  Don’t know where the data is but it is somewhere on  BPL.  The performance for all the years  that I looked at was consistent. They have changed the DWR but I don’t expect that will change things.   The one I have in my data is 3510 MVTR.  Very good. Air perm is 13.2.  Could be cold in elevated winds, depending on ambient temps and level of activity.  HH 266.  That is pretty typical for a wind shirt.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

How did the laser holes in the arm pits impact any of this?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Laser holes in the arm pits? Done with a Light Saber maybe? Arm pit to arm pit?

Cheers

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Those are marketing holes in the arm pit. “Look, our jacket has holes!”. Functionally the total surface area of the holes does slightly better than no holes. My guess is the user would rarely notice a difference. Jackets with mesh arm pits (for running) would at least move some air.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Stephen,

I have a Cotopaxi wind shirt I bought in Pinedale, WY this August, after I realized that I had left my Arcteryx Squamish at home in Michigan by accident. If you’re looking to compile numbers, I could send it to you so long as I get it back.  My Squamish is my main wind shirt.  The numbers I have on the Squamish are 100mm HH and 43cfm, but I don’t recall where I pulled those, and if you have updated numbers on the Squamish, that would be cool tool.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Well, for a windshirt, I think having holes is better than not having holes.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I’ve read the data on this site & sifted through the tech best I can. Still, it would be great if we could get a top 5 of wind shirts with low CFM & high MVTR.  Anyone have this?  Thanks!
    Side note: on my last trip in Roan Highlands I lived in my Alpha Direct & fauxdini.  Wow.  The combination of these two garments has incredible range & functionality!  Now I want the best wind shirt.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Interestingly, I went to REI to see the OR Helium. I looked at the labeling and it is mark as a rain jacket, not a wind jacket. Not sure I’d wear this if my goal was to use it as a wind jacket. Would a high MVTR make up for this?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

OR makes similarly named Helium products as a Wind Hoody and a Rain Jacket. Maybe you were looking at the rain jacket?

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I just checked and you are right. The link in a previous comment links to the rain jacket, not the wind hoodie. Thanks for the info.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools