Topic

More helpful videos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique More helpful videos

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Al Brassell
    BPL Member

@jambeaux

Locale: Southeastern US

I am writing to suggest that someone work with some video makers that specialize in hiking and backpacking videos to produce videos that specifically address the needs of older backpackers. Many of us are unaware of particular pieces of equipment and techniques that may help us overcome particular problems. E.g. as someone with bad arthritis I found it very difficult to get down low enough to enter or exit a typical backpacker tent. The solution is to find one that has a tall enough opening to allow me to duck as low as I can and to enter/exit standing up. I have found a few but there may be more that I’m not aware of. This is but one example. I’m sure the older backpacking community can supply many more. The ultra light community is the best place to spearhead this effort as they have already taken the first step which was to lighten the load.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

“E.g. as someone with bad arthritis I found it very difficult to get down low enough to enter or exit a typical backpacker tent. The solution is to find one that has a tall enough opening to allow me to duck as low as I can and to enter/exit standing up.”

Have you tried a hammock?

Al Brassell
    BPL Member

@jambeaux

Locale: Southeastern US

I have not tried a hammock but I have been researching them quite a bit lately.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, as an elderly hiker, same here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools