Topic

Moose Reduction Team

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire The Natural World Moose Reduction Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

The ice is closed right now, so perhaps a few more will wander across naturally.

The article seems to suggest stable populations in the past, but I thought the wolf/moose population on Isle Royale was historically only quasi-steady.  Populations would cycle and occasionally be restarted or replenished by crossing the ice bridge.  I didn’t think it was ever a truly healthy population.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That’s pretty cool, Greg. I wish they’d bring wolves into Colarado to do the same thing – I think we have far too many moose now. I can’t believe how much they have spread out since being re-introduced in the ’70s.

Once when I backpacked into the east side of the Mosquito range, I had to share my lake with one huge bull moose. He didn’t much like the fact that I was messing with his solitude. Later, I realized that he had to not only get out of North Park, but then over the divide, and again over the Mosquito range. No simple feat at all. I suppose that he did it to, you know, see what he could see. I wouldn’t much mind it if the deer or elk did it, or even black bears, but moose can have such evil and neurotic attitudes sometimes. (and they are a hell of a lot bigger than I am, just like the bison in Yellowstone).

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Gary –

The Colorado moose were re-introduced in the Never Summer Range (1980’s) and did so well that subsequent generations were captured and relocated to many other habitats and spread from there.

This could become another “Be careful what you wish for” learning experience. If it comes down to adding a few wolves to the equation, I’m all for it.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

This report will give you a look at what is happening on Isle Royal National Park with the moose and wolves. The wolf/moose study has been ongoing for many years and has turned into an large issue with the decline and almost extinction of wolves due to inbreeding and disease,  and the moose exceeding  the islands carrying capacity.  During the Fall of 2018 four wolves were introduced, one of the four (female) took advantage of an ice bridge and returned to MN and one (male) was found dead. Prior to this introduction two wolves still remained of the original packs and were located at the far Eastern side of the island.  Due to the extreme weather of 2019  the introduction of four more wolves were put off being introduced until this month on to the island along with placing radio collars on 20 moose.

https://isleroyalewolf.org/sites/default/files/annual-report-pdf/wolf%20moose%20annual%20report%202018.pdf

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I see, Greg. I didn’t realize that many of the current moose are transplants. I just know that there might be too many moose now, at least in the front range where so many people recreate. If we don’t bring in wolves (which would likely be resisted by the people), then maybe we could increase the number of hunting permits.

Edit: I googled it, Greg, and the first re-introduction in CO was in 1978, in North Park. But, like you say, they propagated so well (no natural predators) that they moved some of the moose to other areas of the state.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools