Topic

Moose Mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Does anyone use Moose Mitts for really cold weather riding? Are they useful?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Doug,

I used these on my motorcycle in sub-freezing weather. I think I still have them somewhere in the garage… but Joyce has stalled my motorcycle restoration project :-(

Vetter Hippo-Hands

On a motorcycle, one is traveling much faster, and the rider is not generating any body heat like on a bicycle. I found the heavy traditional mitts too bulky and they interfered with my ability to operate the motorcycle handlebar controls. These things kept my hands warm and it was easy to operate the controls. Also they were 100% waterproof and did not breathe. Of course on a motorcycle, with saddlebags, storing the mitts and their weight wasn’t an issue, nor was breathability. Not shown in the picture are the handlebar mirrors (see picture below)

I bring this up because the Moose Mitts probably wouldn’t fit over my touring bike’s butterfly handlebars

I think the Moose Mitts are just something you need to try and see if they work for you.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I have a Revelate Pogie and Barr Mitts. Both work in the cold, although recently acquired and I don’t have much use yet.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yeah! In bitter cold and wet weather, they allow good hand movement and you can tune you base layer gloves to suit. Also known as Pogies. If you commute or do snowy fat bike trips, you will appreciate the investment.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

In my experience, no matter how thick the mittens or how many I’ve layered, wind moving over them will pull heat out of my hands below 15 F or so.  Moose Mitts or equivalent stop that.  When wind isn’t a factor, it’s quite a bit easier to keep my hands warm .  On technical trails, I’m not mashing the derailleur trigger with a fat insulated thumb or searching for the brake levers.  On non-technical trails, I can unzip without needing to stop, pull a mitt off, …

I think the switch over occurs for most people at around 15 – 20 F.  Any warmer, mittens are fine.  Though I suppose you could use pogies at 40 F and be all naked in there — and no one would even know it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools