Topic

Montbell Zeo-Line Baselayers? Thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Zeo-Line Baselayers? Thoughts?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott F.
    BPL Member

@sfeuerenvironmentalforesight-com-2

Locale: West Coast & Sierra Nevada

Hello all.  I recently joined Backpacking Light and excited to be welcomed to this group.  I am shopping around for light baselayers to reduce my summer pack weight and found that Montbell Zeo-Line baselayers are pretty light (just over 4.6 ounces).  I am curious if anyone has any experience wearing Montbell’s Zeo-Line Synthetic vs. the Merino Wool blend top and bottom baselayers.  I run hot and sweat a lot so leaning towards the Synthetics.  Thoughts? Pros and Cons? Other options?  Much appreciated.

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hey Scott, welcome to BPL.  I found the MB Zero-line to be very stylish and super comfortable but stinky like most synthetics, to the point I won’t use for backpacking.  Granted I bought mine a few years back so I don’t know if they’ve made any improvements to their antimicrobial treatment.  This past season I used a couple of Patagonia Capilene Cool Lightweight shirts and found them to hold much better with stink factor.  I can wear a few days before washing. Not as comfy but super light (3.5 oz for long-sleeve M) and dry amazing fast. They feel on the coolish side when worn so I’d recommend them for warmer weather.  For cooler weather I will stick with variety of different weighted wool shirts (depending on conditions).
    <h2></h2>

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Erik and Scott,

The Zeo-Line baselayers still stink just as much as ever.  As you say, they are incredibly comfortable but they sure do hold the stink.  I like to wear mine during summer months where I know there will be plenty of water in which to rinse them out every day or two.  But if it isn’t summer or there is not a lot of water, I will go with a merino/synthetic blend every time.  I don’t mind the stink during the day but if I want to sleep in them, I HATE a stinky base layer.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Erik and Gerry – Thanks for the input. I’ll take the smell factor into consideration.  Plan to only use them to sleep in and around camp.  Good to hear they are on the cool side and comfortable.  Just what I’m looking for.  Much appreciated!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I like Mont-Bell’s gear but have not tried the zeo line baselayers.  I will add thought that you should check out the OR Echo baselayer line as it seems like just what you are looking for.

Scott F.
    BPL Member

Thanks Brad.  The OR Echo baselayers look good too.  Thank you.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

OR was the first company (I’m aware of) to use that super light grid fabric, but I believe the lightest weight Patagonia Cap and some Rab baselayers use the same fabric now.  It’s all I will wear running in warm months, my other baselayers feel quite warm in comparison.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Scott, I have long sleeve zip-t’s in both the Zeo-Line and the OR Echo.  Both options are very breathable but I would give a slight edge to the Echo.  However, the Zeo-Line is thicker, softer to the touch, and significantly more durable than the Echo.  Since you indicate you don’t plan to wear it for hiking but rather for sleeping and around camp where durability is not a factor, the Zeo-Line would be my choice for comfort.

The two biggest differences IMO are that the Echo dries MUCH faster and does not smell nearly as bad as the Zeo-Line.  In fact, the Echo is amazing when it comes to smell…it is the least smelly of any synthetic piece I have.  I typically wear the Echo exclusively when temperatures are in the 70’s and above and the Zeo-Line or a merino/synthetic blend when temperatures are in 60’s or colder.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The lightweight Patagonia Cap has air permeability of 587 CFM/Ft2, which is a very large number.  I did a study of a dozen summer weight bike jerseys and all had lower air permeability than the lightweight Cap.  I have not measured any other properties.  It also does very well in the smell department.  I used the lightweight Cap all summer and was pleased with its performance and the anti stink treatment has not washed out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools