Topic

Montbell Spiral 800 Down bag in commercial dryer- tennis balls needed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Montbell Spiral 800 Down bag in commercial dryer- tennis balls needed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The last couple of down bags I’ve washed I have simply let them hang/air dry over days, but that’s very slow and it’s a struggle to finally get all of the lumps out. So I thought I’d try a commercial dryer and set heat on low and then check every few minutes to make sure the 12D nylon shell isn’t getting too hot. Might go with no heat at all if it does in fact seem like the shell is melting.

My question is this: I’ve read many times about how it’s best to throw 3 tennis balls in with the bag to break up clumps. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it necessary, does it help? A sleeve of cheap balls is only around $4. Thanks.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

When I washed a WM Megalight I used tennis balls.  Loft came out as good as new

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I have used tennis balls with my Montbell hugger and it does a great job breaking up clumps and restoring the loft. I do it at home in my front-loading dryer with no heat. However, it’s not enough to distribute the fill evenly. I find I always have to do that by hand, which is annoying and time-consuming.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools