Topic

Montbell Sizing help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montbell Sizing help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Hello,

I want to get an ultralight camp jacket for this winter, either an Ex Light Down Anorak or maybe the Plasma 1000. I have not tried on any Montbell gear so I do not have an in-brand reference and there is no place around me to try something on.

I am 6’1″ 185lbs. With empty lungs I measure 39″ circumference under my armpits and 41″ with full lungs.

This puts me solidly in the Medium size, but I have an athletic build and often find medium’s tight in the shoulders when my arms are outstretched (like when cooking or doing anything on the ground)

I am a Large in Arcteryx base layers and trim cut items, but their baggier cut items I can fit a medium comfortably.

So, what say you BPL? Should I go with the size chart and get a Medium or do I go up to a large?

If you can comment on your height/weight/chest circumference with an empty or full breath, this would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

I would say you’re a large. I have a Montbell Ex Light anorak and it sounds like our torsos are about the same size. A large fits me well.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I have a lot of Montbell items and I like them a lot but in general I wish that they were 1-2″ longer for my long torso.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

@bobr, that is very helpful and I’m just south of you near Ojai. I’m want this for backpacking trips in the los padres and sierra’s.

I know all people are different, but since you experience conditions very close to me, what would you say the comfort range of the Ex Light is at rest and hiking over flat-ish ground? I assume it will be far to warm on anything with moderate vertical gain?

Still interested to hear other’s sizing opinions as well

Thanks!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’m 5′ 11″ 190 lbs and wear the same sizes the OP mentions in Arc’x stuff. I have a size large MB Tachyon jacket and it fits well. I would not want a medium. I’m wearing it periodically in this video (the red jacket): NW Afognak Loop Hike and Packraft

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

You are a Large in Montbell.

I’m 5’10 148lbs, and am solidly a medium in both Montbell and Arcteryx.

Barbara Tardiff
    BPL Member

@betardiff

Locale: Vermont and California

Not sure if there is the same approach for men’s and women’s sizing however based on n=1, the women’s sizes run snug across the chest and short. Although I wear small pretty consistently across brands, extra small in some, the Montbell small was not proportioned well for me.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

L

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I had a Plasma (5’11”, 15o lbs, “athletic-ish”).  Definitely, a large.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I think you might want to go for a Large.

:)

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Very helpful guys. I’ll go with a large. Thanks for the advice.

Now im debating, do I get the Arcteryx Cerium SL or Montbell Ex Light Anorak?

I know the Anorak would be warmer, but the SL is $80 cheaper. Reviews of the Cerium SL say the lower comfort limit is ~35-40*. I figure my winter backcountry temps will most often be 25-40* with some wind.

Do I fork out the extra $80 and get the Anorak and have some temperature buffer, or go with the Cerium SL knowing I may need a wool or fleece base layer and windbreaker to extend its lower limit on cold mornings?

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I’d never bother with a down anorak, but I’d do the MB Superior Down Parka over the Cerium SL.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools