Topic

moisture management moving and sleeping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) moisture management moving and sleeping

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Several years ago, I complained of hiking in cooler temps and being too cold and damp in my wool base layers.  Several folks recommended I switch to synthetic base layers, and doing so really improved my hiking comfort in 40 degrees with the damp conditions one finds in the PNW.  Now, I have a slightly different problem.  When I sleep, I find that I often wake up in the early morning slightly damp and cold with a light layer of sweat.  I sleep with an Enlightened Equipment quilt, either 20 degree or 30 degree, a Thermarest NeoAir or a StS Comfort Light Insulated Pad, and Capilene 2 baselayers because I hate the feel of the sleeping pad against my skin.  I may use fleece socks or down booties for my feet, depending on how warm it is. Conditions at night vary, but are rarely cooler than the 30’s, and often are damp and in the 40’s.  After searching threads on clamminess at night (none very recent), I’m thinking I may need to take my wool layers, and use those for sleeping in at night, instead of synthetics?

Several people in the threads favored silk baselayers, as an alternative to a silk liner.  Maybe my wool layers that I have might be too warm–midweight? I always wipe down after a day of hiking, another tool favored by those avoiding stickiness in the bag at night.  I carry Capilene 2, figuring that I can hike in them if conditions require.  I used to use silk baselayers years ago when riding horses, and they just don’t strike me as warm enough.  But maybe that’s my problem, I’m too warm at night.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I find that I range widely from too warm to not warm enough during the night – more so as I get older (just turned the new fifty this year). So if you are like me, it’s not so much that you are too warm the whole night as that you are too warm for part of it. And not much you can do, in my experience, unless you already tend to wake up often, so that you can adjust constantly during the night. If that is the case, Wool or silk instead of synthetic may or may not be superior due to variations in how the different fibers handle moisture. Conditions inside a sleeping bag at night tend to be pretty humid, especially so in your neck of the woods. I would suggest some experimentation. My instincts tell me that the lighter quilt, with a combination of really light synth baselayer and really light wool baselayer, might yield the most comfort; though which against the skin I don’t know. But I’d try that if I were you. then during the day you wear the synth to hike in.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

possibly lighter base layers- Patagonia changes the name of their Capilene about every other year, but their Capilene Lightweight is very lightweight and moves moisture very well

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“possibly lighter base layers- Patagonia changes the name of their Capilene about every other year, but their Capilene Lightweight is very lightweight and moves moisture very well”

+1

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I could be way off base (as usual…), but it seems to me what you’re describing could mean you’re simply starting out too warm, which leads to the rest of the issues. You might try venting a bit more and starting out cool, but not cold. As you warm up under the quilt, adjust then as necessary to stay warm throughout the night without being overly warm at first. Or, in other words, keep the sweat at bay early to stay warm all night.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My experience is similar to what Doug said.

My body and the surrounding environment are all changing as night descends.  Many variables at once.

I might start off too hot or too cold, sweat and get too hot or too cold again, etc.

With a little trial and error (e.g. turning sleeping bag upside down like a quilt. stocking cap on and off, etc.) things eventually even out and I fall into a blissful sleep.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools