Topic

Modding Fly Creek UL1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Modding Fly Creek UL1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Haiku
    BPL Member

@theworldwidewebster

So looks like I’ll have this for my thru (was considering going to tarp setup but cash is low and I’m confident in this tent already).

Looking for ways to trim it down. I set up now with 6 stakes instead of 9, ordered titanium ones to replace. I never use the gear loft and was considering cutting that and some loops. There’s at least one guy line I never use (on the front R side). Have messed with tying the guy lines on the inner/outer walls together and getting rid of some string that way. I feel like the vestibule is bigger than needed (only thing I keep there is shoes) but not really sure how to cut fabric there or how I’d rig it.

Any thoughts?

Haiku
    BPL Member

@theworldwidewebster

Oh, also got rid of all stuffs except the main one, and replacing that with cuben. Overall I’m at 27.2 oz, but I haven’t cut anything off yet (this is just with scrapping the stuff sacks, replacing the one with cuben, going to 6 titanium stakes)

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Dawn,

Personally I would hesitate in cutting any fabric because it will make it tough if you decide to sell it later.

Since you you mentioned a tarp, why not go with the Fast Fly set up? It’s the footprint, pole and rain fly. You would leave the inner at home. BA lists the weight of this set up as 23 oz. You may be able to shave some weight by making a groundsheet with tyvek, duct tape and some washers but I’m not sure if it’s worth it though. You would need the duct tape and washers to create 3 “holes” for the 3 pole tips to go into.

Check out this video at the 10:09 mark and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

YouTube video

Good Luck,

Don, the other type of Don ;-)

Haiku
    BPL Member

@theworldwidewebster

Hi,

Fast fly doesn’t seem like a great idea for my intended use on the AT.  No way I’m going out there without a bug net inner, ‘specially in the summertime.  Also I get cold easily and would want the “insulation” of double wall when I start NOBO late March.  It’s one of reasons I’m using this instead of a tarp tent (plus I’ve had issues with condensation on tarp-tents, and they’re just as heavy if not heavier).

I get what you’re saying about resale, that’s probably why I haven’t chopped yet.  The reason I’m amenable to chopping now though is I’ll be doing a thru.  Got a hole in the bottom and thinking it might be a little busted afterwards anyway.  If I was going to fast fly it wouldn’t make sense to me to use the BA, I’d just tarp it.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I don’t think cutting down the vestibule is a good idea, because on the Fly Creek tents, the vestibule (zipped) is what keeps rain from coming in through the mesh panels on the door.  The last thing you want on the AT is to compromise the rain-worthiness of your shelter!

If you trimmed the sides of the vestibule to make it smaller, it wouldn’t zip up properly, and ventilation would be horrible (it’s already not great in a 1P!).

I think you’ve probably reduced it as much as you can, given that you want to keep the mesh inner.  I question whether it would be worth cutting out the gear loft/loops — what would you save, 10 grams?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools