Topic

MLD Solomid vs Solomid XL in autumn/winter – condensation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Solomid vs Solomid XL in autumn/winter – condensation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

I need a new lightweight autumn/winter shelter and since I mostly read good reviews am looking at the MLD Solomid or Solomid XL.

I want to use it mainly in autumn/winter.

Therefore I have some specific questions:

• I’m 184cm – would you recommend the Solomid or the XL version? When would you prefer one over the other?
    • How much in regard to “double wall” does the inner net help, as it’s only a net? (warmth, splash, etc)
    • I read a lot about condensation problems with the Solomid, are there ways to work around it? Thinking about my rather puffy (height) down bag for -25C

Would be awesome if someone could share some insight.

Thanks!
    Christoph

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Can anyone help?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

With yr season and condensation worries, I’d go XL since you also get more room for that colder weather gear.  All these mid shelters have a slant that can lower usable space and maybe put the fabric next to your face.

Out west I only noticed condensation on my XL Solomid and similar ’17 updated Cricket (basically a XL Solomid with a beak entrance) right next to water where just about any “fly” would get some.  We’re talking green Thunder Island on the Columbia River surrounded by lots of water.  Even square tarps get condensation sometimes.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Christoph

Have you read all the threads about the importance of the choice of location and how a cuben fiber shelter mid will experience less condensation than a silnylon one.

Are you pitching the mid on grass, forest floor duff or snow?  For example, you can mitigate some condensation when pitching on grass or a meadow, by using your gear and ground sheet to prevent moisture from rising off the plants at night.

I find when camping on snow, the condensation even when the mid is pitched right to the ground is manageable because it usually freezes quickly and the trick is not to be inside the mid when the internal frost melts.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would say Solomid XL or even a Duomid. I had the older version Solomid XL and traded for a Duomid. I am about your height and don’t have an issue, but I wouldn’t want to be a lot taller.

I have the Solomid XL innner net as a “half” inner for my Duomid and, you are right it is pretty much for bugs only, as it adds a negligible amount of warmth (~5*F perhaps). I haven’t had any issues with splashing, but I have found in past shelters that bug netting helps somewhat. I really think splashing is usually very site dependent (hard packed ground, etc).

Condensation is dependent upon campsite and conditions. Sometimes it is unavoidable with any shelter.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I’m aware of the “how to avoid condensation” threads yes – but I don’t know the Solomid and I read a lot about condensation issues in general with mids. I cannot, of course, know if these people did their best and it’s really an issue of the Solomid though.

Some wrote that it’s the height that is problematic. So I thought the Solomid XL might be better.
    And yes, for autumn/winter it might be a better overall choice as you are carrying more gear anyway..

David Danylewich
    BPL Member

@danylewich

I have a Solomid XL in the lighter Cuben. I’m 6’1″. I used it in the Wind River Range last summer on a high route. I used it with an MLD superlight  bivy. Great combo. No problems with condensation at all. But I staked it so I got the bottom edge up high and there was lots of airflow. Perfect size for me. Highly recommended. See my trip report on Andrew Skurka’s blog for a photo of the Solomid XL in use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools