Topic

MLD Shoulder Strap Gear Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Shoulder Strap Gear Pockets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I just ordered a set of these for my Core pack to give me quick access to essentials.  They look to be just too small for a smartphone or my Inreach Explorer. What do other folks here find fits in them well?

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Curious about this as well.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have one of these but have not used it. It definitely will not fit my Samsung S5 with Otter case. Could fit a couple of energy bars such as Clif or Power Bars in it. I suppose you could use it for your repackaged sunscreen, Deet, Aquamira, SAK Classic, tag compass, etc.

I use 2 of the shoulder strap water bottle holders, which hold 20-oz Gatorade bottles perfectly. (I think they will also hold 1-liter Smartwater type bottles.) And I have 2 of the hip belt pockets for the web hip belt, but they are also smaller than the Zpacks hip belt pockets which are IMO the perfect size.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have a couple of these but have only tried them once because they are so small. They seem pretty much maxed out with a compass and a small dropper bottle of hand sanitizer.

I have a Zimmerbuilt pocket that fits my phone and has a stretchy exterior pocket that is pretty nice. If I ever get motivated to switch to something else I’d probably get one of LUL’s pockets which look more like a bag with a mesh pocket over the outside.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have used my MLD shoulder pocket for snacks or to keep my small kit of sun tan lotion, bug lotion, and hand sanitizer handy. The pocket is pretty small.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

OK guys, thanks for managing my expectations. I think I might be able to fit the Inreach Explorer in, with the antenna poking through the zip. Will see if that’s even remotely doable in the next few days. If not, I guess it’s little items. The Core lacks a load-bearing hipbelt, so these pockets are pretty much the only option for external storage if I’m going to stick with MLD options.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I never thought of trying that. It fits ok however I don’t see much utility in carrying my InReach in the pocket. I usually just carry it clipped onto a shoulder strap.

I have carried my InReach in an MLD bottle pocket before. I think I like that solution better if you really want to put it in something rather than relying on the clip.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I bet Zimmer would make you a nice InReach specific pocket if you wanted one. If you do that, maybe have him put a micro D-ring or a cord loop to clip a leash to. I’ve always used a short leash on my InReach, I’d hate to leave it on a rock somewhere…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools