Topic

MLD ProSilnylon Duomid thoughts???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD ProSilnylon Duomid thoughts???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Curious if anyone has spent some time in the latest version of the Duomid  made in ProSilnylon?  I’ve been serious considering one and am wondering if the new material and size are worth buying new vs waiting for older version to turn up used?   My only Mid experience so far has been a few test nights in the backyard in a BD Megalite with perimeter bug netting.  I think I would probably go for a Duomid with a Solomid XL innernet.  Also curious about a Locus Gear Khufu but the wait times are like 10-15 weeks.  My hope is to spend a fair amount of time around 10k in the Sierra this summer, if we ever get a summer.
    Any thoughts?

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I got a used (like new) Duomid on the forums and sold after trying it out. I think it is a fine shelter and the Prosilnylon seems like it would hold up well.

For exposed camping around or above treeline (such as 10k+ in the Sierra), you might be better served by an MLD Trailstar. Check out the several Trailstar reviews online before you make a decision. It does take some getting used to but it holds up well in wind and rain on exposed terrain. Consider a bug bivy if you’re worried about bugs but I’ve mostly been able to avoid bugs with good campsite selection – away from water sources and “meadows”.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just got a Duomid today. I like the idea of the Trailstar except for the large footprint, particularly in the Sierra. I’ve had trouble finding a spot in a Duplex there so a Trailstar seems way too big.

I can’t wait to get the Duplex set up and see what it’s like in use.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

I spent a few nights in a Tarp Tent Contrail last October in Yosemite  and I think it was too tarpish for me. I also wasn’t that into the low/long profile.  I would guess the trailstar would be a similar but more exposed situation.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

I own a Locus Gear Khufu (CF) and it’s my favourite shelter by far. I don’t camp that high often, but when I do, it really holds up well.

I chose it over the Duomid because you can pitch it with a 130 cm pole, and it was slightly lighter and cheaper. However, they didn’t offer the bonded version when I bought it, so I taped all the seams.

Used it in Scotland few weeks ago; basically everywhere you camp in Scotland is above timberline, since there’s a serious lack of trees over there. I was comfortable, even in high(ish) winds. I always try to look for a more or less sheltered spot, though.

I like the versatility of a mid. You can use with or without an inner of water-resistant bivy. You can pitch it high or low. You can completely close it, convenient when you camp on a designated campingsite surrounded by campers and huge family tents.

If you’re a tall guy however the Khufu will be too small, although they make it larger on request. See here: http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/locus-gear-introduction-review-blah-blah-blah-thread.2850/

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Mine is circa Nov. ’14 so I can’t tell you about the newer PRO stuff, but I’ve been very happy with my amateur version at and above treeline in the Sierra for the past two seasons (solo use only). I’ve heard good things about the Trailstar, but I do appreciate the efficient shape of the DuoMid to squeeze into tight spots:

Paired with a Solo XL Innernet when bugs are bad and/or you really want a bathtub floor, like during this spring/summer’s massive MELllt, I think is a very sound plan. I have the older non strut Solo Inner and wish for just a tad more room. Regardless, the half sleep area half vestibule setup works really well:

Stability in wind has been pretty good for me. However, even if I have decent soil I always add big rocks to the main stake points. I’ve had two good rain events (one w/ hail, then sleet, to snow) in the Duomid and stayed comfortably dry & cozy. I never felt overexposed or wished for more shelter. Both times I was using the Inner and both times I really appreciated the bathtub floor.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Awesome photos. Thanks for the insights.  Hows condensations been in those situations?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

First pitch today went up really easily today. Under 3 minutes with no restaking. The Duomid goes up like a dream.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Condensation: well, it’s a silNYLON single-wall floor-less fully enclosed shaped tarp so it’s about as bad as it gets if conditions are right, err wrong. There are ways to mitigate it (e.g. crack the door, pitch it high). Plus, the tall peak and steep taut sides keep it away from you pretty good. Generally it hasn’t been an issue for me, but there have been a couple of frosty mornings where the foot of my sleeping bag has become pretty wet (outside fabric only) from condensation because I’ve shifted during the night and placed it against an adjacent wall.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools